NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Looking for a telescope (newbie)

So I am more or less totally new to this. I often do take the time to drive out to the countryside and look at the stars and northern lights when they come as far south as where I live (Oslo).

Now I want to take it to the next level, and buy myself a telescope.

I'm thinking in the range of $700-$1700.

The only condition would be that I need to be able to hook it up somehow to my EOS 5D camera. I want to be able to take photographs of (preferably a nebula or even galaxies).

As I said, I am a total telescope newbie, so I have no idea if this is even possible from a telescope in my price range.

(If you find one for like $2000 that would work for this purpose, I'm sure I could find some extra funds :))

First post, so thank you and hopefully you'll see me around here more :eek:

first of all welcome to the forum. It will be difficult to give exact prices. I see you're based in norway but you have given dollars as your currency anyway If you are going to do deep space astrophotography the most important thing to get is the mount. Skywatcher do the most cost effective mounts and the absolute minimum is reckoned to be the heq 5 pro after that you will need a scope, guidescope, adaptors etc I have no doubt that someone will come and give better information but I reckon your first bit of kit should be this Books - Making Every Photon Count - Steve Richards this will tell you what you need to get

I agree it's an excellent book which will give you lots ofsound advice.

If I had read this book before making buying my scope, I would have changed a few things.

Worth reading first before you decide.

Doug

Thanks for the replies :eek:

Is there no proper scope+mount "bundle" being sold, that would provide a solid basis for astrophotography?

The first thing I do, doesn't have to be hooking up the camera. I plan on spending at least weeks/months to get to know the nights sky before even considering taking pictures. But when I do decide to take pictures, I would need a good setup.

- Suzpaz

Hi from me too - I think the problem with astro photographjy is its a good deal more complicated than just fitting a camera to a telescope.

The mount needs to track suepr accurately which puts the cost of the mount up a lot, telescopes that imagers use arent often the best telescopes for visual, you need all sorts of expensive extra bits (guide scopes, camera mods, filters, guide cameras etc ) and its a science in its own right.

No way I am going to use Din Kikkert - kjp kikkert, teleskop, kikkertsikte, avstandsmler til lav pris

This telescope:

Maksutov - Skywatcher Skymax 127 SynScan AZ GOTO

Din Kikkert: Sky-Watcher SkyMax 127 SynScan AZ GoTo

6999,- NOK (£765) on dinkikkert.no

£356 (3225,- NOK) on FLO.

(not necessarily gonna buy that scope. I was thinking of a Skywatcher Explorer 200 or something)

I see that FLO sends to Norway.

Anyone have any idea of their overseas shipping costs?

give FLO a ring tomorrow they're always helpful its better to get it from the horses mouth rather than us guessing. If you're serious about imaging the scope doesn't need to be as big, as the camera takes the strain. big scopes are used for visual work but talk to FLO and they will give good advice

Archived