Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Tales From The Dark Site - Part 1

Jimmy Stix

Thought I would share with you the trials and tribulations I had last night with my new Skymax-127.

After my rushed and failed attempts to see anything on Christmas night I had been waiting and waiting for clear skies. I had managed to align my finderscope in daylight and was raring to go. Finally as darkness fell yesterday evening I looked up and Wooo Hooo, Stars! Unfortunately we were visting my wifes' sister, which had been delayed due to my annual Xmas cold, so I could not rush off as early as I would have liked.

Eventually I got out (after Stargazing Live) to a place I had been going with my binoculars which whilst not pitch black is away from much of the Sheffield streetlight. Only to discover that I had left my eyepieces at home. Arrrrgh. A 20 minute drive home to collect and then I decided to try a place slightly nearer but not quite as good.

By the time I had set up and tried to do some allignment, The GOTO said there were "no stars in this region" when I tried the bright star option, many of the stars were clouded over and the rest faint and fuzzy.............Sorry gotta run will continue my tale later (If your are at all interested!) :eek:

PART 2

...So there I am trying to find something to rescue my night and I hear, "boom, boom, boom" and see 2 sets of headlights approaching down the lane to the small car park. I am at a place called Loxley Common, which I know well from exploring the woods and crags as a kid , and I had hoped it would be quiet at this time on night (22:30).

I am a little way from my car, as there are some bushes around it's edge, and I realise it is 2 sets of young lads that have arrived in "souped up" hatchbacks with stereos vibrating the windows. I admit to being a little scared as I imagine the possibilities. Being attacked, having my stuff nicked, examined or poked around with or even being asked "let's ave a look then mate".

It dawns on me that they don't know I am here when one of them is clearly relieving himself and another says "what I want to know is what's that other car doing here?". I guess they were here to smoke, drink and hang out but who knows what else?.

I decide to "bite the bullet" switch on my headtorch and pack up my stuff quickly and carefully. They actually turned out to be OK and asked a few questions about "how far I could see?" and "could I see planets with that thing then?". I bid them goodnight and headed home after I disappointing and frustrating first "clear" night out.

I won't be going back there to observe in a hurry. My first site is much darker and despite being near a farm gate, next to a road, is much quieter too. I can't see youths hanging out there at night time. I guess the secluded car park was the attraction at the other place.

Enough of my woes. Tonight looks like being cloudy again though.

"Things can only get better" to quote Prof. Brian Cox in a previous incarnation. :eek:

I was wondering if anyone else out there has ever been a little scared when they realised how alone they were and perhaps a little vunerable. I have never been afraid of the dark and love the isolation you can get when it's just you, the rolling moors and a clear (hmmm not lately!) dark sky with stars from horizon to horizon. However as I said in my post, that night, I did realise that I would have been completely helpless and alone had things turned ugly.

Of course common sense should always prevail and I am always wary of strangers but I guess when we are not in our own backyard there is always a risk.

Archived