Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

buyin an eyepiece XT8 Classic

I am going to buy an eyepiece

I have my eye on TeleVue plossl 32mm

What would be the best eyepiece to look into deep space object such as galaxies and nebulas.

I have a Skyquest XT8 Classic DoB.

So far I have an orion 25mm 1.25" which came with the scope.

Also, I am going to buy TeleVue plossl 11mm Eyepiece to go with my 2x barlow soon.

What would a good eyepiece for deep space object

My price range can be up to £200.

http://www.telescopehouse.com/acatalog/TeleVue_32mm_Plossl_Eyepiece_1_25__.html

Hi Lurker,

a lot of dob owners have been really impressed with the TV plossl's going by the comments given on here. I think you have made a decent choice, for dso's etc a 13mm would be handy maybe a Radian or if you could afford one an Ethos :eek:

Alan

The two TV plossls you mention are nice eyepieces. The 32mm would be good

for finding objects with your XT8, or viewing larger targets. However many would

say that something with a wider field of view would be even better.

Once the object has been found, then a lot of deep sky objects look better at

a medium power, apart from being larger, the sky will look darker, and increase

the contrast between object and background sky. The 11mm plossl will do that,

but again I would prefer something with a wider apparent field. The 11mm with

a 2x barlow would give a high power that may not be used very often.

But opinions do vary, what suits one person may not be ok for another, and most

of us have a limited budget.

The SGL archives, and other online sources are well worth a look.

Best regards, Ed.

You really need a couple of eyepieces for deep space objects IMHO - a low power, wide angle EP to act as a "finder" and for viewing the more extended objects and amothing with a bit more more power, but still a wide field of view, for observing the more compact objects objects in more detail.

As your scope is an F/6 you can usefully use 38mm - 40mm focal length eyepieces for the lowest power - I've found the Skywatcher Aero ED 40mm pretty good at F/6.

For higher power, something in the 16mm - 13mm is very useful - the Ethos 13mm is superb but an extremely expensive option (double your budget). The Vixen LVW's are excellent at just under £200 each and they have 13mm and 17mm in that range. The Hyperion's are less than half as much again and work pretty well at F/6.

Thank you for all your replies.

If I decided to buy TeleVue 13mm Ethos Eyepiece, What would I be able to see in Space with my XT8 Classic. I live in a light polluted area, Would like to know what am I able to see with Ethos 13mm Eyepiece.

It's £465 pounds.

TeleVue 13mm Ethos Eyepiece 1.25 & 2.0"

I have a 13mm Ethos and the 8mm and 6mm versions. They are superb eyepieces with an ultra-wide field of view which is sharp right across, even in fast scopes.

But they don't show any more stuff than much lower cost eyepieces do to be honest - a 13mm Vixen LVW will show you the same objects and costs less than 1/2 the price. The Ethos frames the objects with more sky and perhaps shows a touch more sharpness and contrast but these differences are very subtle.

I don't want to put you off - but I also don't want you dissapointed when you shell out more than the scope costs and don't actually see any more :eek:

Having re-read your last post, I wonder if you would be better advised to buy a lower cost eyepiece (though a decent one) and also invest in a light pollution filter of some sort.

Well, I have now ordered the TeleVue Ethos Eyepiece, I hope I don't regret it as it cost a bomb...

Anyways, I am planning to go Wales for a week to Caravan in the summer with my wife and I, 2 dogs and telescope with us too, Anyone recommended a good holiday park with no light pollution in Wales.

Snowdonia perhaps? or Near? I don't know.

Thanks

Astronomy venue in mid Wales :

Madog's Wells - Wheelchair accessible self-catering holiday accommodation. Holiday Cottages in Powys, near Llanfair Caereinion Mid Wales

Have been there in 2002, for 9 nights. Had one stunning night, it

was the best sky I have seen, but statistically they get fewer

clear nights than eastern UK.

Regards, Ed.

I ordered TeleVue Ethos 13mm eyepiece.

Took a big chunk put our budget but my wife agreed when I said you buy the best to see the best in space.

I'll be getting 7mm Ethos eyepiece in couple of months time probably for my birthday in September maybe. If that's worth buying too. Next year will get another telescope one for my wife and I. But I want to focus on buying filters, eyepiece stuff like that for now as my wife and I share telescope when have enough pieces then will get a scope considering a Dob skyquest XT 14 when it comes out. Will the eyepiece be ok for the newest model?

If you like an Ethos in your 8" your will love it in a 14". The 8mm and 6mm are just as good as the 13mm, believe me :)

I'd be interested in your feedback on the eyepiece when you have used it - some folks love ultra-wide field eyepieces, some are not so keen.

If you like an Ethos in your 8" your will love it in a 14". The 8mm and 6mm are just as good as the 13mm, believe me :)

I'd be interested in your feedback on the eyepiece when you have used it - some folks love ultra-wide field eyepieces, some are not so keen.

Here is what I'm gonna do, As soon I get the Eyepiece, I will be driving down south to somewhere like Hastings on a clear sky night and will let you know as I live in a light polluted area, I will also check it out in my back yard.

Ok another question, Since I live in a light polluted area " Grove Park, Bromley London ", My back yard is very dark does that mean I can see alot of stars? even with the Eyepiece? Or do I have to go south of England for a better view?

Astronomy venue in mid Wales :

Madog's Wells - Wheelchair accessible self-catering holiday accommodation. Holiday Cottages in Powys, near Llanfair Caereinion Mid Wales

Have been there in 2002, for 9 nights. Had one stunning night, it

was the best sky I have seen, but statistically they get fewer

clear nights than eastern UK.

Regards, Ed.

NGC, Thank you very much, I am gonna email them and book a week or 10 days depending on the price

What would be the best month to be looking into space? How about April/May? Or the Summer?

..Ok another question, Since I live in a light polluted area " Grove Park, Bromley London ", My back yard is very dark does that mean I can see alot of stars? even with the Eyepiece? Or do I have to go south of England for a better view?

Unfortunately, while excellent, there is nothing "magic" about the Ethos - if you have light pollution it won't help.

My back garden has some light pollution issues but it's not too bad once objects reach above 45 degrees - in other words out of the skyglow. I've seen some pretty faint objects on good nights.

If you can find a spot that is hidden from lights then you might be OK but if the area generally is plagued with light pollution then your views of deep sky objects, galaxies especially,will be pretty limited. Perhaps you should concentrate on the planets, the moon and double stars while observing from home ?. I doubt you would get a lot of benefit from a 14" under those conditions to be honest. I find a 6" scope is my most used.

It's amazing what scopes can do from a really dark site though - it's like doubling the aperture sometimes :)

Thanks, John. That clears things up a bit.

Hastings is about a hour and a half drive away, That's not too bad, It will be quicker driving at night time, Traffic Free.

I have had my scope for a couple months already, Haven't even seen a galaxy or milkway, Nebulas yet. But I have been reading and reading alot on this forum to learn some more, It was worth the time.

It's gonna be our first time going South with the telescope, I just need to google up a place to view space from somewhere around Hastings or near.

Planning to go next week saturday with a friend who is coming to visit me, He is like me interested in astronomy but haven't taken it up yet, He was considering buying a telescope, I recommened XT 10 Classic to him, But we'll see what he decides to do after our night out. Bet he be like "oh my gosh" galaxies everywhere, Ok I'm gonna order one tommorow LOL!

Archived