NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Tal 100RS vs 127 MAK?

Damn these clear nights trying to hurry my decision!

I still don't think I'm anywhere further as yet.

I have made a few decisions though:

- No astrophotography(apart from maybe trying abit of ccd)

- Not overly bothered about DSO although I would like to at least see some of the more brighter objects

- I want this scope to be a keeper

- I fear the 127 mak on goto will feel more like a toy than a telescope?

Am I talking myself round to the Tal?

I have been thinking about the Dobs aswell mainly between the 200p or 250px. I guess at some point I'll own both a Dob and the refractor but which one first?

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It is so difficult to make suggestions to beginners as there is so much to pick from. FYI the 127 MAK looks can be deceiving, it is in now way a toy and can give some amazing images that can compete with some larger scope. The MAK although may come across as portable and a grab and go it isn't. You can be waiting for up to 2hrs for a MAK to cool down to optimum temperature. Up until this time the scope can be used but you may find it a strain on the eyes. All scopes will need to cool down but the TAL would probably be quicker than most. If you are strongly considering a TAL RS100 then I would suggest you have a chat with Nightfisher & Astro_baby or check out Astro_babys review TAL 100RS Review

It is so difficult to make suggestions to beginners as there is so much to pick from. FYI the 127 MAK looks can be deceiving, it is in now way a toy and can give some amazing images that can compete with some larger scope. The MAK although may come across as portable and a grab and go it isn't. You can be waiting for up to 2hrs for a MAK to cool down to optimum temperature. Up until this time the scope can be used but you may find it a strain on the eyes. All scopes will need to cool down but the TAL would probably be quicker than most. If you are strongly considering a TAL RS100 then I would suggest you have a chat with Nightfisher & Astro_baby or check out Astro_babys review TAL 100RS Review

Cool-down times are particularly important for planetary viewing. I find my C8 generally is OK after 1hr (no tube currents visible in defocused image), or even 30 min if I store it in a really cool place. I would be surprised if the cool down time of the 127 would be longer. For DSOs it is not a great consideration, as you are working at lower magnifications.

Archived