have £1K to £1.5k for a DIY Obs

skippyinspace

Thanks chaps.

My missus has said that I can have an observatory (size wasn't specified but she knows what's involved) :)

However at our current house I need the scope set up right in the middle of the small lawn so can't manage an observatory.

But I might be able to manage a HEQ5 PRO pillar mount (not a pier) buried into a few inches of sand and semi-permanently mounted in the garden.

Has anyone else done something similar? (I saw something similar on another forum post here from a couple of years back, but I'm wondering how viable it would be to use a "Pillar Mount" as a temporary pier and leave the pier and mount head outside, pre-aligned).

Here's an example of my Orion Sirius EQ-G mount (same as HEQ5) on a permanent pier.

beyondvision-albums-my-gear-picture8832-pier-set-up.jpg

Regards

Kevin

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Here's an example of my Orion Sirius EQ-G mount (same as HEQ5) on a permanent pier.

Regards

Kevin

I love what you've done there, Kevin. That looks very nice indeed.

Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to get away with a permanent pier here. I've probably got one of the worst gardens for astronomy, but at least I can go outside and admire the clouds and light pollution at any time!

I sort of like the temporary pier idea that yesyes posted (easier to remove for a house sale and pretty cheap to make too) but it doesn't look at all stable to me.

I think a better base would be this: Skywatcher - Skywatcher Pillar Mount Support for HEQ5 & EQ6 series mounts

Slightly dug into the ground and placed into compacted sand. I think that would give better vibration resistance than the temporary pier and would at least give me better stability than the HEQ5 tripod that I'm currently using (that I don't particularly want to leave outside - although I understand that I can leave the HEQ5 PRO head outside under a fleece & waterproof cover.

I sort of like the temporary pier idea that yesyes posted (easier to remove for a house sale and pretty cheap to make too)

Why not consider the cheapest option of all:

Make a concrete pier using a suitable plastic pipe (say 6-82 dia) as a sleeve, then put the EQ mount on that.

The cost for that is less than £25....saving over £150!

(or as an aternative, many like to use a steel pipe and fill with sand, but I don't like that method).

If you do move, you take the mount with you, and turn the concrete stump into an over-engineered bird table.

Mike

Going back to the Skyshes question, I posted the question there and was told that for a 10 x 10 your looking at $2K

Which brings back the option of a skyshed or a Alexanders shed

Still think I might down load the plans and put it to a shed builder and see what happens

Ian

Why not consider the cheapest option of all:

Make a concrete pier using a suitable plastic pipe (say 6-82 dia) as a sleeve, then put the EQ mount on that.

The cost for that is less than £25....saving over £150!

(or as an aternative, many like to use a steel pipe and fill with sand, but I don't like that method).

If you do move, you take the mount with you, and turn the concrete stump into an over-engineered bird table.

Mike

Thanks for the suggestion, Mike.

Can I really get enough concrete mixed for just £25? (I'm not familiar with the value of building materials). Is there a specific reason why you don't like the steel pipe + sand method? Is concrete more resistance to vibration?

Thanks again for all your advice. I think I'm warming towards plastic pipe, rebar and concrete.

Best,

Mike

Thanks for the suggestion, Mike.

. Is there a specific reason why you don't like the steel pipe + sand method? Is concrete more resistance to vibration?

I've seen some posts with reports on vibration damping of filled/unfilled steel pipe compared to concrete but there didn't seem that much difference to be honest. Both rock solid, and work well if isolated from the foot-stamping stargazer. Might be interesting to research further...

Basically for me, it boils down to:

1. Steel pipe is hard to find, not cheap, and flipping heavy. If you know someone in the oil and gas/construction industry maybe you can get some free, but getting it home and in place may be awkward....steel pipe is not easy to lift/carry (steel toe-caps, several people etc.).

2. Plastic pipe is much easier to find. If not plastic, then that pre-formed aluminium used for airconditioning installations. Any suitable diameter would do. If can't get some offcuts for free, then wouldn't break the bank if you had to buy it. Easy to carry....just put in the car or on the roof-rack, one person job.

Then when it's held in position with suitable formwork, and you've got hold of some rebar as you said....just fill with concrete mix than you do yourself. Again, one person job.

The plastic pipe can be cut away when the contrete is dry, and a suitable covering such as an off-cut carpet roll glued around to make it look nice. The steel pipe can be hammerited so would just as nice. No difference there, methinks.

Basically.....parts availablility....that's why I prefer the plastic pipe approach.

Cheers

Mike

Cheers Mike.

I'm after the path of least resistance, so I may end up just getting a pillar mount to start with, then burying it's legs into the lawn and then followed by a plastic pipe and concrete. Unless the missus gives me a go-ahead for the pipe and concrete job from the off :)

Cheers Mike.

I'm after the path of least resistance, so I may end up just getting a pillar mount to start with, then burying it's legs into the lawn and then followed by a plastic pipe and concrete. Unless the missus gives me a go-ahead for the pipe and concrete job from the off :)

Are you coming to SGL6 Mike? I've got one of these Astro Engineering AzRok Field Pier for mounting all altaz SCTs (but without the owls nest - I used it with a wedge) that I'm thinking of selling but don't want to post.

Helen

Are you coming to SGL6 Mike? I've got one of these Astro Engineering AzRok Field Pier for mounting all altaz SCTs (but without the owls nest - I used it with a wedge) that I'm thinking of selling but don't want to post.

Helen

Hi Helen,

I don't think I'll be able to make SGL6 this year (work and my missus is back at University), but your AE Field Pier looks interesting. Is it possible to get it working with a HEQ 5 mount head?

It was great to meet you and your husband [Mike?] at Kelling Heath last year although it looks like I might not be able to make that either :)

Best,

Mike

(I think 2011 is going to be the year of no star parties for me :*()

Archived