Does this picture look right?

I just started using a cheap solar system imager (NexImage) with my Celestron 4SE telescope to take pictures of the planets. However, after seeing pictures taken by other people (some with my scope), it seems that my pictures are less clear and smaller. For some reason, my pictures of Jupiter aren't as big as the one of Saturn.

I crudely constructed this image in paint with my pictures of Venus, Jupiter, and Saturn lined up next to each other. For Venus, I probably didn't focus it enough. But why are Jupiter and Saturn sub-standard? I read through many tutorials for RegiStax, I just don't know what I could have possibly done wrong.

29x9df6.jpg

If it helps, I used AMCap to record all three planets at 10fps. Thanks in advance! :(

Actually they're no too bad at all. It's very hard to get planetary imaging sorted and you've made a pretty good start. Did you use a barlow at all? If you didn't you could try that as it would increase the image scale. Focus is the other thing to work on and very much key to getting good images. Adding an electric focuser helps a lot in getting a sharp focus on the planets (and the same for moon closeups).:(

I have a 2x barlow lens, but I've only used it once because it put black spots on Jupiter (dirt I guess). I clean all of my lenses before I use them, and it confuses me how it would be dirty. I'll try again on the weekend, when this never ending cloud leaves us :(.

I think for Saturn I used "Drizzling" and for Jupiter I didn't. Is it worth using it even if the image is a little distorted? Saturn turned out well, but Jupiter was blurry after drizzling.

Your scope has a long focal length which means you don't have to stack barlows like I do (I usually have to stack a 3X and 2X to get a reasonable scale). I use drizzle on my palnetary and moon shots and then downsample back to the original scale. I'm pretty convinced it makes a positive difference. The black spots might be on the camera sensor if you've cleaned the barlow and they are still there. They could also be inside the barlow depending on it's design. I've got a couple of spots on my camera which I avoid by positioning the planet to one side slightly - the spots on mine are about 1/5 of the way in from the left edge.

It also worth playing around with the setting on Registax so get familiar with what each aspect does. Also if you limit the selection of frames to just the top 300 or 400 out of a few thousand you can get some great results - especially if conditions weren't so great.:(

Woah! Is that the SEB? I've not seen Jupiter in about a month and it didn't look like that before.

I think your photos are about as good as they could be under the circumstances. It's possible you'd get better results by being more selective about which frames you choose. Waiting for more stable atmospheric conditions or making sure the tube is 100% cooled down.

I noticed the return of the SEB in your pics (like umadog above) which is a great achievement. The pics are not bad at all especially considering Jupiter is way past best and the seeing hasn't been brilliant either. Good first attempts :(

Archived