Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Would appreciate some help guys and gals....

So ive been looking at a starter scope for myself, as im on a budget and it will also be my frist scope i thought i would start with a cheapish one with a GOTO, i have seen these two and thought, what is the difference?

can anyone tell me in a straight forward way what it is and i would be very welcoming to the reasons why as well as your recommendations. thanks for reading.

AZ GOTO - Skywatcher Skymax 102 SynScan AZ GOTO

AZ GOTO - Skywatcher Startravel 102 SynScan AZ GOTO

both the same prices but i bit different looking.

Are you dead set on GOTO ?.

At the end of the day those are small aperture scopes - many of the objects that the GOTO will point them at will be virtually invisible, unfortunately.

For a similar price you can get a much larger aperture scope which will show you much more - you just need to point the scope yourself with the aid of a star chart.

Hi

I'm with John on this. Most people starting out are daunted at the thought of finding anything worth looking at. Just like "TOM TOM" made the hassles of map reading redundant so too some beginners to astronomy also look to having directions given to them as the easiest way to navigate the night sky. Unfortunately GOTO and "TOM TOM" are 2 different concepts. TOM TOM is a GPS based system and can orientate it's self to your location and is pretty easily interfaced. On the other hand GOTO requires careful set up to be usefully accurate. I have read reviews that Synscan mounts can take some effort to get aligned correctly and even then half the database cannot be seen as light pollution or scope limitations do not permit seeing of the object. For around the same cost as a goto setup you could purchase a 6" reflector on an EQ mount a telrad finder and a pocket atlas. A 6" scope will offer a significant improvement in light grabbing power over a 4" and when you become more familiar with the sky you will get a better sense of accomplishment from astronomy.

As a beginner I found it reasonably easy to find my way around the night sky. It's only when I got more in to it and had a 8" I decided I wanted to find the more difficult DSO's that a GOTO really became an advantage. Not that these DSO's would be the most appealing to the beginner anyway as they are barely visible to the eye any way.

Hope this gives food for thought.

SPACEBOY

Hey spaceboy, thanks ever so much for the links, read the review of the skywatcher explorer and seems pretty nifty to me! and the red dot finder seems to be a breeze to use, cant wait to get the ball rolling, thanks again friend!

Hi OssO and welcome to the forum :(

You have a few different types of telescomes the two you have identified are a MAK and a Refractor... There are other types like the Newtonian and the Dobsonian. There are others, but these are the basics...

GOTO is an easy way to learn, and very satisfying system... It is easy to use and you can almost instantly find something, but you do have to set it up first.

Not every body likes GOTO, but it is another way to aid learning... It can be hard to find things solo via a book.

Most people start with a newtonian or a dobsonian. this is because they are normally cheaper. The construction of this type of telescope is cheaper to produce. Because they are cheaper this normally means that it is possible to purchase a telescope with a greater apeture... More seeing power.

I started with a 200mm telescope, and my brother a 130mm newtonian... I have seen some amazing things through little 130mm newts.

I have had a look on the FLO website, and found this 130p on a GOTO....

Reflectors - Skywatcher Explorer 130P SynScan AZ GOTO

Its with in the prices of the others, and it is probably your best bet.

You can also get a 200mm (8") dobsonian...

Dobsonians - Skywatcher Skyliner 200P Dobsonian

With the two i have suggested i think you will probably have a better time as a beginner. Now you need to decide whether to go with the GOTO and lack in appeture or with the dob and lack in tracking and goto.

You are defernatly on the right track for brand though... dont be reeled in to the EBAY Cheap scopes... They are not worth the money.

Skywatcher is a well respected cheap telescope, probably the best cheap scope you can buy.

Well i hope that has helped you in some way, and if you have any questions, just ask away.

Regards

Keiran

Have you downloaded Stellarium... http://www.stellarium.org/

It is free, and it is a virtual star map in real time :)

No scope is exactly easy to use, each has it's own problems if it be a goto, an EQ mounted Newtonian or a dobsonian mounted Newtonian.

Goto's need aligning and power.

EQ mounts need aligning also, different to goto's.

Dobsonians you have to find the object and keep it in the field of view.

A goto will already have motors and will threrfore track the object, an EQ mount can have motors fitted to enable it to track, a dob you nudge it by hand - they do not track, lose it and you start again. Also not the best if 2 people are observing.

Thread on SGL a couple of weeks ago about owning a goto, find it. Most said they were good, enjoyed using them and had advantages. Afraid that a goto isn't the often evil thing that it is made out to be. If you cannot actually get an object in the field of view manually with a bigger Dob then you see nothing.

Of the two you mention I favour the refractor, Startravel, it has a wider field of view, makes the set up a little easier.

Thread elsewhere that says that the best option is often that which you initially decided on. Meaning your choice is probably what you really want or need.

Archived