eyepiece question

I have been reading through some guides and am finding that its best to look at the andromeda galaxy with binoculars.

I have the orion XT8 with 2 eye pieces.. 24mm and 9mm.

I know that a telescope will just look at a small pimpoint compared to binoculars. Should i get a super low magnification eyepiece along with the widest field of view possible? Or will that still not really be enough?

thanks

Generally speaking the longer the focal length of the eyepice the lower the magnification and the wider the field of view. For your 8" Dob (if I have that correct?) something like a 28mm or 32mm or even 40mm eyepiece would be suitable - these are often 2" diameter and I don't know if your scope will take tis size?

If you get a 2" 32mm, 70 degree field of view eyepiece such as a Skywatcher Panaview, your scope will show a much wider view and get more of the Andromeda galaxy (Messier 31) and it's neighbours in view at the same time (though not all of it as it's a very large object). Big binoculars such as 20 x 80's do show it very well too but the 8" of aperture will help enhance the view even more.

20 x 80 binoculars typically show a 3.5 degree field of view wheras your Orion XT8 with a 32mm 70 degree eyepiece will be showing a 2 degree field or therabouts.

I always like to have a low power, wide field of view eyepiece in my "toolkit".

If you get a 2" 32mm, 70 degree field of view eyepiece such as a Skywatcher Panaview, your scope will show a much wider view and get more of the Andromeda galaxy (Messier 31) and it's neighbours in view at the same time (though not all of it as it's a very large object). Big binoculars such as 20 x 80's do show it very well too but the 8" of aperture will help enhance the view even more.

I second that. That's the best view I've had of Andromeda.

I have an XT10i same focul length as your XT8 and the lowest power I use is a Skywatcher Nirvana 28mm 82 degree field of view. It gives me just a tiny bit shy of 2 degrees which is pretty much as wide as your gonna go and Andromeda looks great the view of the center area is superb but it is not big enough to frame the galaxy. That as others have said requires binoculars, from dark skies it looks excellent with 10 x 50's.

A good low power ep is very useful, there are lots of DSO's that benefit from a large field of view and the largest are the Nirvana/UWAN ep's, Moonfish and the Televue Nagler 31T5 which has a 2 degree field of view. I feel the quality of the Nirvana / UWAN means spending the extra on the 31T5 is more than unnecessary the Moonfish 30mm is even cheaper. Beyond that for example 40mm the exit pupil is above 7mm.

so excited! just saw andromeda. So far i have seen the moon, jupiter,and andromeda lol.

I got so excited that i dropped my eyeglasses on the ground.

All it looks like right now is just a hazy area with a little brighter haze in the middle... but i guess that is expected right now.

i have an orion expanse widefield 9mm and an orion sirius plossal 25mm.

I also found a few pieces i need help with

2" 50mm OPT lense with a 60* FOV

2" 42mm OPT lense with a 68* FOV

Both are the same price and look good from the numbers... is this even a good brand? If so which one would be better for this?

Get the 25mm on M42 in Orion and be prepared for another nice surprise. Also Albereo if you can find it - very nice blue/gold double (you'll see the colours). The pliedes is another nice beginner object (M45).

Congrats on what you've seen so far :(

A 25mm eyepiece aimed at the Orion Nebula (M42) and the Seven Sisters (M45) should give you amazing views. You may feel like getting a closer view but they are real beauties at lower magnification.

You have done very well to find the Andromeda galaxy so quickly. It really isnt something many people find on their first observing session. It DOES look better in bins.

...I also found a few pieces i need help with

2" 50mm OPT lense with a 60* FOV

2" 42mm OPT lense with a 68* FOV

Both are the same price and look good from the numbers... is this even a good brand? If so which one would be better for this?

I'm glad you are enjoying the hobby :)

I'll be honest though and say that those eyepieces are not too good and would not be great in your scope. I have used both the 50mm and the 42mm of that range.

The Panaview is used in similar scopes to yours by a number of SGL members and they seem to like them :p:

Skywatcher - Skywatcher PanaView 2" eyepieces

Probably a bit more £'s than the ones you listed but you get what you pay for in this game :(

I am in the US. Do you know if they ship here? Been looking around at US sites and cant find any that have the panaview.

Astro Tech are widely available in the US - here is their web page with their equivalent eyepiece (the Titan):

Astro-Tech 38mm Titan 2" 70° field super wide angle

At the top of the page they list their dealers.

I just checked out M42.... wow. I cant wait till my filters come in!!

I always saw those 3 bright stars in a row and wondered what they were... now i know that they are orions belt.

My wife is gunna hate me because of how much time i am gunna spend outside

much difference between the titan 2 and the titan type II ED Premium?

In your scope, which I think is F/6, not a lot. In a "faster" scope (eg: F/5, F/4.5 etc) then the extra cost does pay some dividend.

The difference will be at the edges of the field of view where stars will not be so "pinpoint" in the lower cost eyepiece. This bothers some people more than others which is why some are prepared to spend many £'s / $'s more on Tele Vue Naglers or Panoptics which stay sharp to the edge even in "fast" scopes.

Archived