SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Latitude bolts not working

The front bolt will need to be unscrewed almost all the way out. Take the scope and counterweights off as these are working against you. with the front bolt loosened off, tilt the mount head back by pulling on it with your hand and then spin the bolt round with no weight on it. Once you are close to your latitude you will need to turn the bolt but it will be stiff. Once you reach the right angle, put the front bolt back in or tighten it to hold the angle.

Cheers

The front bolt will need to be unscrewed almost all the way out. Take the scope and counterweights off as these are working against you. with the front bolt loosened off, tilt the mount head back by pulling on it with your hand and then spin the bolt round with no weight on it. Once you are close to your latitude you will need to turn the bolt but it will be stiff. Once you reach the right angle, put the front bolt back in or tighten it to hold the angle.

Cheers

I've just tried and the mount doesn't budge STILL. Anything else I could try? Or is it just really stiff?

Yes be careful these bolts are soft as butter and bend way to easy I took mine out and replaced them see my blog for more details on a later post. take both the bolts out and the scope off and then move the whole thing back and forth to loosen it off a bit I added a bit of oil to make things move a bit. Doing this will give you a feel for the mounts movement with out the risk of bending those bolts. If you do bend them pm me and I can tell you how I got mine sorted out. Just go very careful and dont dont dont pull back on the scope if the bolts are tight loosen them right out then move. These bolts are way to soft I got rid of them and replaced them.

100_2236.JPG

As others have said before, be very careful not to over-tighten the latitude bolts on the mount as they are really easy to bend and become wedged in. When I received my Skyscan 2001 EQ (An old EQ3-2) one of the bolts was bent and could only be turned a few times each way before it became stuck, I was forced to remove it by twisting it with a set of pliers . Luckily it came out without too much trouble doing that and the threaded bolt holes were undamaged and I was able to find a replacement for the bolt without resorting to paying loads for the astrosystems bolts. I used an M8 X 75mm "roofing bolt" from B & Q for the job which has a mushroom philips head for adjustment and cost a total of £1.50 for a set of two in case the other bolt needed replacing.

The downside with my solution is that a screwdriver is needed for adjustment which means carrying an extra tool when out observing which could turn out to be a paint. I am to upgrade in the future to ones that can be adjusted by hand, something similar to hook-shaped bolts as pictured in "quatermass's post" to make it easier for when I eventually get a 'scope to sit atop the mount.

Even now when I got to polar align my telescope I find the design of the adjusting bolts to be a pretty naff but with a bit of tinkering they can be made much better. Considering this is a part of the telescope that you need to be precise and accurate its a poor design on what is otherwise a great telescope.

When you analyse the Latitude adjustment mechanism on the EQ6, there isn't any escaping the crudity of the mechanism. Apart from the Butter bolts supplied as standard, the price tag for the mount should demand a better system than the one they have at the moment.

I wonder if the EQ7 incorporates a better method of adjustment.

After all, the accuracy of the Polar axis setting is no small matter.

Ron :).

Hi, just got an email from the shop:

"I am sorry for the problems with your new mount.

My guess is that the mount has not been set correctly at the factory. There is very little that you could do yourself to put it right."

Looks like I'll have to wait until the 5th of January for a new mount to arrive, so it should all be set up by Epiphany. :-)

Thanks for all the help!

Thats a pain when you want to be using your new telescope. I guess you could use it any way with out adjusting the latitude angle for the time being if it really is not going to move at all with the bolts taken out then best get it sent back and let them deal with it. Having said that when I got mine I took the bolts out the scope off and had to give it quite a push to get it to move once it had moved a bit it was then a matter of moving it back and forth to loosen it off a bit. Still think its a pretty shoddy design for such and important adjustment might be worth telling them just how many of us on this forum have had problems with those bolts though. Hope it all gets sorted out for you soon and have a great new year!

If either bolt gets bent so that It can't be removed at all then it is possible to bend it back.

If you view from the base hole you can just about see the bolt with enough light shining down it.

Turn the bolt so it curves upwards (towards you) and hold it in position with a spanner. Now slowly drive a threaded bolt down the mounting hole and bend it back

to "straight"

Eventually you will get it straight enough to remove the latitude bolts...throw them away and get new ones.

oops:BangHead: best send them an email warning them. Hope you get it all sorted out soon mind you the skies have been blocked with clouds for so long now I have brought my telescope indoors so it doesn't feel lonely out there in the shed;)

Archived