Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Help with Eyepieces

Hello

I have been using my telescopes now for about two years.With my first scope I purchased a set of Revelation Photo-Visual Eyepieces.

These have served me well.

I have not been able to find information on the advantages, uses of other types of eyepieces eg. Nagglers, Radians, Kellner etc.

Nigelg

ps sorry about the upcoming weather, obsy arriving late January.

Sorry it was the wifes idea !!!

If you go to the SGL home page, just below " beginners help and advice " you will

see " primers and tutorials " lots of eyepiece and general information is there.

Happy reading & best regards, Ed.

Edit :- "understanding and choosing eyepieces" is in that section.

A lot depends on the scope you have and the specification of it and the uses that you want to make of it.

Then comes the little question of budget. Even do you want eyepieces of a single range, as in all TV plossl's, all WO's, all Vixens. These often have the advantage of being parfocal within the sets.

Finally, and one that cannot be answered, is how you actually get on with the chosen eyepiece. For that you have to buy and find out. There are posts where people say they find budget GSO plossl's(£30) as good as TV Radians(£160). This I suspect is why people build up large eyepiece collections.

A few points to take into account:

1) You pay exceedingly more for a small increment in quality.

2) The lower the f/ ratio on your scopes, the more improvement you will notice.

3) There are lots to choose from and not everyone likes the same.

If you can go to an astronomy club's observing night, then you can probably try a few and make your own choice.

My choice was:

1) A couple of widefield EPs for DSOs.

2) A good barlow so I can use them for casual planetary observation as well.

3) A few orthoscopics for more serious planetary observation (orthos are known to provide the best contrast needed to detect planetary/lunar detail, but they are a bit unconfortable).

I end up buying some of the so called "best" EPs because I'm the kind of person that doesn't changes his mind too often and I believe I'll keep them till I die. I'm also planning to get a very low f/ ratio telescope and this are usually more demanding on EPs.

However there are good choices for any price range and what kind of observation you do, how fussy you are about edge correction, how wide you want the view to be, are some of the things you need to think about before making your mind. I'll be happy to point you to a more specific solution if you can provide some of this info.

I end up buying some of the so called "best" EPs because I'm the kind of person that doesn't changes his mind too often and I believe I'll keep them till I die. I'm also planning to get a very low f/ ratio telescope and this are usually more demanding on EPs.

my thoughts exactly Paulo:rolleyes:

Alan

FoV is the biggest difference but eye rielief also varies a lot. An 8mm plossl and some of the nagler types aren't easy to use if you need glasses.

Some EPs seam similar in specs but then you get small details that don't come up in the specs, like:

Naglers are a bit fussy about eye placement.

Ethos have better contrast then naglers on planetary/lunar.

etc...

This are all small details but it's because of those details they cost as much.

Archived