Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Spotty Saturn 23-12-2010

chrisrnuttall

Hello again

Here is a drawing of Saturn from this morning.

I got up at 4:30 (my fourth very early astronomy morning this week, I might have to have a lie in tomorow!) and put the scope straight out to cool.

Started observing at 04:50 but the scope was still a bit jittery for a further twenty minutes; after it had cooled i realised that the seeing was only Ant IV, although there were very few clouds which was an improvemnt over yesterday.

I was looking for the white spot at 260° System 3, but I was really struggling to get more that the odd hint of 'something' in roughly the right place, but nothing worth drawing. I stuck at it until 05:50 when I gave up and came in tired, cold and puzzled as to why I coulndn't see what is supposed to be a very bright white spot near the central meridian of Saturn's disc.

I checked WinJupos and realised that it would still be observable for a further thirty minutes, so feeling a little warmer and slightly less tired I went out for a second session at 06:05.

The seeing had been improving slowly and it was now AntIII, within a minute of observing I could start to make out a brighter patch towards the left hand end of the NTrZ, I continued observing until 06:30 by which time I could easily see a very bright white spot aproaching the limb, and perhaps a hint of a darker patch just next to it in the NEB. The spot is easily the brightest feature on Saturn, perhaps by a couple of points.

The reason I'm bothering to tell you all this (if you are still reading!) is that this spot which looks so bright and easy under average seeing, was simply invisible under slightly worse conditions, so if you have a go at it and can't see it, don't give up.

post-17454-133877512628_thumb.jpg

Thanks guys

John, I am more than happy with the optical qualiity of my SPX, Barry discussed my options with me before i bought it and we decided to use an under-sized secondary and move the focal plane close to the tube wall, this along wiht the 10th wave mirrors does seem to make for some razor sharp images - when conditions permit.

My only regret is buying an 8" rather than the 10"!

Archived