Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Right decision?

Manok101

The wind shakes the scope, but if you can get behind a windbreak like a building or vehicle it's not too bad. Depends on the scope, of course. I can hide behind the truck with the 120ST but have a very difficult time hiding the 16" LightBridge anywhere. :)

Actually i'm glad you brought this subject up, Manok. Dust just sits on the mirror and can be cleaned off, but i've heard some pretty nasty things about pollen etching glass and mirrors and possibly getting moldy... does anyone have experience/advice on this?

I do image and observe in the wind but I keep to short focal lengths on the imaging side. I never worry about dust but the pollen thing is a new one on me.

Actually our 20 inch is great in the wind provided you don't leave it unattended (in case of BIG gusts) but its mass keeps it pretty stable otherwise. You can't use the shroud, though. That would be asking for trouble! 'English amateur astronomer makes first solo flight across mediterranean by telescope...'

Olly

I do image and observe in the wind but I keep to short focal lengths on the imaging side. I never worry about dust but the pollen thing is a new one on me.

Actually our 20 inch is great in the wind provided you don't leave it unattended (in case of BIG gusts) but its mass keeps it pretty stable otherwise. You can't use the shroud, though. That would be asking for trouble! 'English amateur astronomer makes first solo flight across mediterranean by telescope...'

Olly

'English amateur astronomer makes first solo flight across mediterranean by telescope...' - wasn't that written by Jules Verne?

Generally I don't worry about damage to the scope. I see the scopes as working tools and just like I don't get concerned about my precsion tools being damaged when using them I dint worry about the scopes either.

Yes they are cared for, cleaned, fettled and used with as much caution as is needed to prevent accidental or needless damage but at the end of the day I accept they will get dents, scratches and grubby optics over time.

I used to worry about my SLRs being damaged but in the end just used them regardless of wind, rain etc and none of my fears ever came to pass (apart from a Nikon falling into a lagoon once but it dried out and cleaned up fine).

Last year there was paranoia from some people that volcanic ash from the Icelandic volcano could be etching the glass on your lenses and mirrors. I didn't care a hoot because if I worried about every possible hazard to the telescopes then they would never get used at all.

The air is full of pollutants, lead, carbon monoxide, radon, radioactive fallout from 1960s H Bomb tests and lord only knows what else.

My approach to the scopes, and for that matter life in general can be summed up as 'damn the torpedoes, full steam ahead' :)

Archived