Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

A question about filtering light polution

Is it possible to remove a portion of light pollution (ie street lights which work on a specific wavelength) by taking an image with a filter than only allows the street light frequency through?

Then you could subtract this frame from the subsequent imaging frames to reduce the stray light and improve contrast.

Clever idea, but you just need a light pollution filter - it cuts out the street light and similar frequencies. Skywatcher, Baader, and Astronomik are some of the popular ones. I think I'm right in saying that the Astronomik is the only one to make a clip filter that goes inside the camera, so you can use it on a Canon DSLR. The others are for scope eyepiece use.

David

Then you could subtract this frame from the subsequent imaging frames to reduce the stray light and improve contrast.
This might improve the colours, but it would do nothing for the extra noise added by light pollution, which is the real problem.

NigelM

Clever idea, but you just need a light pollution filter - it cuts out the street light and similar frequencies. Skywatcher, Baader, and Astronomik are some of the popular ones. I think I'm right in saying that the Astronomik is the only one to make a clip filter that goes inside the camera, so you can use it on a Canon DSLR. The others are for scope eyepiece use.

David

Note the clip filter stops you using the IS lenses.

Archived