Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Jupiter - SEB revival - 12 & 14 Dec

brianb

The SEB revival is now well under way and (given anything like reasonable seeing) should be clearly visible with small scopes. Here are some images I've made recently.

Dec 12:

Jupiter-101212-173538-FLTX4-composite.jpg

Jupiter-101212-183407-FLTX4-composite.jpg

Europa in transit appears as a light spot near the east (left) limb in the first set, and as a dark spot on the meridian in the second set.

Dec 14:

Jupiter-101214-172516-FLTX4-composite.jpg

Jupiter-101214-175501-FLTX4-composite.jpg

No satellite phenomena but better seeing giving more definition; and better centred on the meridian where the revival started. Note how the differential rotation is spreading the outbreak round the planet.

I'd love to be able to use my CPC1100 to record this rare phenomenon but unfortunately my wrist injury makes this impossible; it's enough of a struggle to get my FLT 110 set up at the moment!

Good compilation Brian.:)

As for here in South Australia - where struth, it's Christmas next Saturday, right into Summer and when we're supposed to be experiencing hot, clear days as well as clear nights.....well, it's been clouds with occassional rain for as long as I can remember now, although next Thursday they're saying "mainly fine"....!:D

Sorry to hear about your wrist injury: I've moved the C11 mount to another position in my yard for Saturn in the morning - which has ended up with the mount head considerably higher off the ground - lifting the OTA a foot or more higher than previously sure is a fair bit more effort.....:)

it's been clouds with occassional rain for as long as I can remember now

Blame the Pommy cricket team; they probably stuffed their kit bags with English cloud to try to put you lot off your game :)

lifting the OTA a foot or more higher than previously sure is a fair bit more effort....

It's not the effort, it's the chance of disrupting the fractured bone which should be allowed to heal rather than being stressed by heaving heavy objects around. Still, I kow what you mean!

great collection Brian,

gud to see detail of SEB revival, seems to be almost all way round planet now maybe 200+ degrees or more ?

also images on 12th were prob 1hr before my own taken same night so great to compare details etc

the pics from 14th show main revival region very well,

how far does this main region spread ? do you know ?

thx James

Archived