new eyepiece

i could do with a bit of advice, i recently purchased a skywatcher 200p, and i must say for the money i cant fault it, i thought i would treat myself to a new eyepiece, i was advised to buy a good quality eyepiece, instead of a set, so i purchased a tele vuv 7mm nagler, and to be honest im hard pushed to see much difference, than the ones supplied with the telescope, considering the eyepiece cost almost as much as the 200p optical tube assembly,

could the eyepiece be faulty, or could something be wrong with the telescope???, the supplier said there could not be anything wrong with the eyepiece, and i should be able to see a WOW factor when i look through it, the only thing i can say is, WOW what a waste of money. i have collumated all the scope and it appears to be fine, am i expecting to much from this eyepieces or could something else be wrong, any advice would be welcome

It's hard to know what the problem is, however -

Are you certain that the scope is well collimated ?

All scopes need to cool to ambient before they will give their best.

With what objects are you disapointed with the view ? deep sky objects

can be a let down if you are expecting views like the pics in magazines etc.

One option is to contact / join a local astronomy society, most are very

happy to help.

Best regards, Ed.

one thing to bear in mind is that the seeing has been really rubbish of late and no matter what the quality of the gear, the image has been poor for me.

I am sure you will have a good EP (I have never heard of a bad Nagler or even TV - they are all hand checked at the TV HQ) and if you persevere with it you will eventually reap the rewards with better seeing I'm sure.

are the EPs you are comparing it with of about the same magnification? e.g. you may get a smaller sharper image in a cheap 10mm (120x) eyepiece if the seeing is bad when compared with the 7mm Nagler (171x). If you have been looking at eg Jupiter, I have only been able to get about 130-145x with a sharp image.

hope this helps.

hi guys, thanks for the replys, i have collimated the scope using a cheshire eyepiece, and also a lazer, and all appears well, i have made sure the scope is cool, i have been looking at jupiter and the orion nebuler, and as i say i cant see any noticable difference, not £200 worth anyway.

there's no doubt that the benefits get smaller as the cost difference gets bigger. this is always the case with optics. you can be sure though that your scope is showing as much as it can.

you might find that if the seeing ever improves you'll see a bigger difference.

I would agree. Here are a few points to consider:

1) If you don't try enough EPs you won't know the difference.

2) The stock EPs are good enough to use.

3) The differences are small details like: pin point starts to the edge, a bit better light transmission allowing to notice some details such as the great red spot in jupiter or some ridges on moon craters. The FOV is also larger and you won't feel such a restrictive view as in plossl EPs.

I would say in EPs you pay 10x more to get about a 20% increase in view quality and usually I don't advice very expensive EPs unless you are really into astronomy. If you are then it will be expensive but you'll use them so many times the cost will be justified.

You can always sell it 2nd hand and get a beginners set and then, when you know what you want upgrade the focal lengths you use the most.

there's no doubt that the benefits get smaller as the cost difference gets bigger. this is always the case with optics. you can be sure though that your scope is showing as much as it can.

you might find that if the seeing ever improves you'll see a bigger difference.

i think you are right, i work in a gunshop and sell telescopic sights, binoculars ect that range from £30 to £2000, and there comes a point where you think, what am i paying for, the differences is neglidible, i wished i had bought a set now, at least i would have had more lenses, filters to try and look through, i know its nice to buy the best, but on shop workers wages, its difficult, maybe when seeing conditions improve, i may see an improvment, hears hoping.

If it's still as new you can probably return it an get a refund, otherwise get 50 posts and sell it in the 2nd/hand sales section.

I can guarantee it will be off your hand in a couple of days, if you sell it at a usual 2nd hand price, which is about 75-80% of the new value for Televue EPs.

assuming you donit were specs, a good way to get real quality and quite inexpensively is to buy used TV plossls and Baader Genuine Orthoscopics.

I am quite serious when I say that my 12.5mm BGO is better than my 13mm Ethos on planets even with my manual dobs. The 11mm TV plossl is also excellent.

Not sure if you bought the Nagler new (and if you did then selling would be painful - you might get £150) but you'd be able to get maybe 4 used BGOs/plossls for that money or even more if you buy other brands which would also be OK. might be worth considering.

Hi spartan, I would agree with the comments made above. Have you tried the 7mm a few times or was this your first use of it?. I would definately try it a few more times, in a direct comparrison with a few other ep's, if possible, before properly evaluating it.:)

Alan

I think you might be expecting too much although I would expect the Nagler to be noticably better than the stock eyepieces assuming that i) the seeing conditions are decent, ii) that the scope is in reasonably good collimation, and iii) thatthe scope properly cooled. Those three factors plus observer experience make a bigger impact on what can be seen than the quality of the eyepiece. When it all comes together though, the Naglers are top performers. They don't revolutionise what you see though - just show a bit more contrast and a bit sharper details.

What type of Nagler is it - a type 1 or a type 6 ?.

When I 1st started out I invested in some TV plossls which cost 3x as much as the cheap eyepieces I had been using then. I thought (rather stupidly I now realise) that they would show me things that I could not make out, fainter nebulae, much more planetary detail etc, etc. Well of course I was dissapointed and, like a fool, sold them for other brands. It took 10 years for me to realise my mistake and then I gradully bought some more TV plossls and, with a slightly more experienced head on my shouders by then, appreciated them immensely - I've been hooked on TV eyepieces ever since :)

thanks for all the replys and advice guys, i will stick with the nagler, but i dont think i will be buying any more, i will stick with buying plossels from now on, especially on my budget, i personally think the salesman was trying to oversell the eyepiece by saying my viewing would be totally transformed. im not saying he was wrong by doing so, but i think he was over exagerrating just a bit, he said the plossel kits where to say the least not very good, hence me buying the tele vue,

i will stick with the nagler, and keep trying it, as you all say they are good EPs, heres hoping for some clear skys soon.

ps its a 7mm type 6

so i purchased a tele vuv 7mm nagler, and to be honest im hard pushed to see much difference, than the ones supplied with the telescope, considering the eyepiece cost almost as much as the 200p optical tube assembly,

Plössls are actually not that bad, you know. The "only" thing the Nagler lets you do is have a very wide field of view at the high magnification it provides.

Often that is't better, but it allows you to find objects more easily, and it allows you to hunt for smaller groups of objects and observe all of them in one field.

But if you don't care for the large apparent field of view, there really is no point in buying Naglers.

t he said the plossel kits where to say the least not very good,

Well, he's right. First of all, there are usually a lot of focal lengths that you tend not to use in a set. Secondly, the smaller focal length ones have very little eye relief (you have to put your eye very close to the eyepiece), and thirdly, they are not as good as premium Plössls.

But that's not a reason to buy a Nagler, given there is also an 8mm Plössl from TeleVue...

The 7T6 Nagler does have a lot more eye relief than an 8mm Plössl, though, so it is more comfortable. And I'm sure you'll appreciate the fact that because of the wide field of view you need to nudge the scope less often.

Archived