Do you guys use something for telescopes when observing for dew on mirrors?

After i had my first session last night with the telescope, i noticed there was quite abit of dew on the mirrors, it didn't really affect the performance on the night, but it did get me wondering if alot of astronomers actually use something for this. the binoculars it really affected though.

Thank you.

This is what I use on my 250mm Newt to stop the secondary dewing up. Seriously. A bit of cardboard rolled up and sellotaped. Works a treat. Also a bit of rolled-up black paper as a dewshield for the finder, fixed with a rubber band.

Not exactly pretty, but who cares when it's dark?

lukebl-albums-luke-s-help-images-picture8066-my-dewshield.jpg

A dew shield, as previous posts, helps a lot. If it's a very dewy night I

sometimes use a 12v "hair dryer". Remove the eyepiece and point it down

the focuser to remove dew from my Newtonians secondary. ( I wouldn't

use a mains hair dryer, as damp and 240v are a dangerous combination,

and too hot ) Only works for misting up, not if dew has formed globules

of water.

HTH, Ed.

was the dew noticed after you brought it inside? this is pretty normal and I tend to let my mirrors dry off naturally overnight.

if not a dew shield will help, as will keeping caps on eyepieces (EPs) in the focuser but not being used, and putting in the plug when there's no EP in the focuser and it's not being used. I retain all my EPs inside a foam lined case and if one dews up I just replace it with another for a while and after a few minutes you can swap back.

wafting your flat hand like a fan across the EP can also clear mild dew quite quickly sometimes.

Archived