Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Vixen ED150 Atlux ....... rare scope for sale

John

Gentlemen, my apologies - I've only just seen these posts for the first time. I am Chris Campbell, and I owned the original 150mm Vixen Atlux refractor which I bought from Broadhurst, Clarkson & Fuller in October, 1991. I also wrote the review which appeared in the January, 1992 issue. I can provide any subsequent owners with considerable information re exchanges with Vixen and my own observing log and photographas at the time. I am now the fortunate and proud owner of the prototype TEC 200mm fluorite but have great memories of the 150ED, which I still think will match virtually any other 150mm Apo. Get in touch if you want copies of this stuff - it's all in my observing logs. Best wishes to you all. 

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Gentlemen, my apologies - I've only just seen these posts for the first time. I am Chris Campbell, and I owned the original 150mm Vixen Atlux refractor which I bought from Broadhurst, Clarkson & Fuller in October, 1991. I also wrote the review which appeared in the January, 1992 issue. I can provide any subsequent owners with considerable information re exchanges with Vixen and my own observing log and photographas at the time. I am now the fortunate and proud owner of the prototype TEC 200mm fluorite but have great memories of the 150ED, which I still think will match virtually any other 150mm Apo. Get in touch if you want copies of this stuff - it's all in my observing logs. Best wishes to you all. 

A TEC 200mm fluorite? Wow.  What is the focal ratio on that?  I did consider the 200mm APM LZOS but I wanted to be able to transport to dark sites so the 180mm was a little more forgiving for that (and the bank balance!).  Do you have any pics you can share?  Would love to see it.

Hello, Stu, and Matthew,

Stu - yes, maybe we can check that. You know, I'm only aware of TWO of these coming in to the UK, as the first two were eventually returned to Vixen as there were some little technical faults and myself and Julian Mullins, who owned the second one, were sent new telescopes by Vixen in 1993. Julian's one is easily identifiable as he persuaded Vixen to put a 4" focussing rack on it. Drop me your email to chrisandphoebe@hotmail.co.uk and I'll dig out what I have, scan it and get it over to you.

Matthew - Yes, a a major stroke of luck, getting that instrument - a complete story in itself. It's F8 and a triplet system. And has taken the skin off everyone who's used it. Of course you can have some photos - also of planetary pics I've taken with it using the  Celestron Nexstar camera. Drop me an email to the address I've given Stu and I'll sort you out some pics.

Many thanks Chris.

Peter Hainsworth originally bought my scope from you I believe, then repurchased it again sometime later having sold it. It now has a very nice AP focuser on it. I will get in touch by e-mail.

Cheers,

Stu

I have the smaller version the Vixen ED 102 the f9 . Colour correction is superb, every bit as good as the Astro-physics Star ED 120 doublet I used to own. I have only come across one other of these smaller Vixens. Strange there were such limited runs.

All the best,

Linton

I have the smaller version the Vixen ED 102 the f9 . Colour correction is superb, every bit as good as the Astro-physics Star ED 120 doublet I used to own. I have only come across one other of these smaller Vixens. Strange there were such limited runs.

All the best,

Linton

Hi Linton,

I have the F/6.5 version of that scope - the Vixen ED102SS. Again, for it's focal ratio, excellently corrected and a lovely little scope. Also rather scarce as I've only seen one other for sale over the past few years and very few even in the USA.

Ade Ashford cleaned the objective for me after I acquired it and made me swear never to get rid of it !  :smiley:

Archived