SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Dew Heater/ Dew Shield

Hey guys again!

Firstly merry xmas to all! :)

Secondly, Im in need of some dew prevention for my 8" LX10.

What's everyones views on the best solution? A dew heater/strip or a dew shield? Pros/cons?

Also if anybody could point me into the right direction for buying either of these it'd be very helpful.

Thank you

Dew shield for definite. If thats not enough then you may need a heater system including a controller and one or two strips for the corrector and/or the primary. Some people use one for the ep as well but keep your ep's in your pocket and it might not be needed. A selection of dew stuff can be found here:

Dew Prevention

Thanks for that!

Is astrozap a good make for dew shields? Have you or anbody else got one?

I use an Astrozap dew shield on my CPC925GPS and I can say it is certainly of better quality than the Celestron one I had for my previous scope. However, I find that a dew shield only offers limited protection, especially if the scope is pointing towards the zenith. I also use the Dew Not system (heater strip on the scope, towards the correcter plate end, and heater controller). I don't find it necessary to use a heater strip on the eyepiece: the warmth of your eye keeps the dew off and I always replace the cap when I have left the scope. Similarly, replace the caps on the finder scope as soon as you have finished with it.

Brinders

I followed many others' advice and used a cheap camping mat (about £8). I placed a piece of paper ribbon around the end of the OTA and pencilled a cut mark. Then rolled out the mat and used the paper to measure where to cut with a Stanley knife and bevel-edged metal ruler. I spread contact adhesive on the 2 edges, waited to dry, then the difficult bit of mating the 2 edges together when in a springy circle! As the cut edge wasn't exactly 90 deg everywhere, I ran some masking tape up the outside and folded over the ends. It works a treat on my reflector, and also helps stop light from street lights spilling directly on to the open end of the OTA. One thing I have to remember is to attach the tube before mounting the OTA on the mount as it's a snug fit and needs some pushing. You don't want the scope turning the gears of the drive after you've polar aligned.

I also made a very simple shield for my Telrad by just folding some thin foam into a 'U' shape and attaching with velcro dots. I haven't been troubled with dew since doing these things, and I've finished some nights with a layer of ice all over the scope.

David

I just got a Celestron dew shield for my C8 as a present, and could use it the same night :). It was very cold, and a lot of hoarfrost formed on the dew shield during a 3 hr observing run, but none on the corrector plate :)

I am really impressed with the effect of such a simple device, on a night that would otherwise have had me reach for the hair dryer several times.

Archived