Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Clear sky tonight, but will the wind be a problem

WayBig

For the first time in what seems like an age clear skies are forecast tonight in my area.

Trouble is they're accompanied by 30mph winds...will those winds cause a problem?

...need to know whether it's worth loading the dob in the car for my astro club meet tonight

Fortunately down this way the clear skies are forecast with lower speed (9mph) winds. But on the downside the cloud seems to be creeping into the forecast now. Was supposed to be clear all night but now not clearing until 9pm. :)

clearing at 9pm here too, which works well, Owen Brazell is talking to us about DSOs first...with the hook that he "might" bring his 20inch dob...woohoo...fingers crossed.

Still want to know if 30mph winds will wreck the seeing though

wow 20" dob, great views with that. Not sure what the 30mph winds will do with the seeing but i can't imagine they will be friendly with that dob though. Is it just gusting to 30mph? That may not be as bad. Hope you get a good clear sky to make the most of that massive dob.

I got out for an hour - Great Orion Nebula and a few other bits - found some stars for a lowest achievable magnitude guess but...

the wind was blowing ice crystals off of the nearby trees straight down the barrel of the scope! Seemed a bit murky around the horizon - ice or freezing fog maybe.

My wife thought I was nuts for being out that long!

Archived