Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Canon 1000d & vignetting

Hi all

Normaly I use a Meade DSI and dont usualy get vignetting unsless using a focal reducer.

Bought a Canon 1000d and just had a bit of a test run on M92

Is this amount of vignetting normal with the 1000d ? Is it due to the bigger chip size?

Image was taken through a 6" f5 s/w refractor with 2" T adapter.

How do I get rid ? Do I need to start learning the art of flats ?

Cheers in advance

Greenkat

post-13805-133877508518_thumb.jpg

Yep thats about normal for a SW and Canon chip. I started DSLR imaging with a SW ST120 and a Canon 300d and had it worse than that.

You will need to learn the dark art of taking flats now Im afraid. What you do is take a series of short expsoures of a totally flat field, easiest way is to drape a white T shirt over the objectve of the scope and point the scope at the twilight sky. Then take a series of exposures set using your cameras metering. Then combine the flats to form a master flat frame, this will be a greyish image with the vignetting evident.

Then subtract this master flat from your image which will get rid of the vignetting. Sounds difficult but once youve doe it a couple of times its easy.

I now use a light panel for making flats, some folks use light boxes.

Philj

Archived