Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Canon 1000d 18-55 lens

Has anyone used the 18-55 lens that comes with the 1000d for piggyback wide field AP? Just wondering as until now I've only dabbled with prime focus on my 200P. If so, can I focus on infinity with it in manual mode?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I've found that infinity on a lens is never actually infinity but a bit beyond, so focussing on stars is a bit of a pain. Best to use live view and zoom onto a bright star to focus.

I took this one of Orion sometime ago with my 1000d piggy-backed on the scope. I think it was the longer focal length Canon IS zoom lens though. I remember it was difficult to focus, and it dewed up after about half an hour, so you may want to consider a dew strap of some kind.

post-16060-133877508598_thumb.jpg

Thanks for the links guys, gives me an idea of what I can expect.

Some nice shots there, I hadn't really considered the defacto lens as something I'd use for AP, from the images you guys are getting I guess I need to rethink that.

I've found that infinity on a lens is never actually infinity but a bit beyond, so focussing on stars is a bit of a pain. Best to use live view and zoom onto a bright star to focus.

I agree with luke... With the canon lenses, if you move it all the way to infinity('8'), it seems to be just past '8'.... I couldnt get on with live view to start, but now i have worked out how to use it, its great.

When i used my sony, '8' was '8'...

If you put it on live view, move the box over a star, and then use the zoom button and zoom as far in to the star (I mean digital zoom, not optical, on the lense), them manually focus the lense.

The standard kit lense will work fine though... Make sure you take it to the lowest F stop as posible to try and let in as much light as possible.

Look forward to seeing some images

Keiran

I took this quick one with a 50mm F1.8, nifty fifty, but you will get similar results with the kit lense...

bulldog_keiran-albums-dso-picture7636-orion-orion-neb-widefield-nifty-fifty-iso-3200-13-11-10.jpg

With abit more time you can get alot better, and this was taken off a fixed tripod.

Archived