Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Meade lxd 75 mount problems.

Martin Whitaker

Hi, has anyone any ideas as to why my Meade lxd 75 go-to mount will not slew,I tried it indoors yesterday and the han control apeared to operate correctly ,accepting date and time changes but did not slew to any star positions.

I first tried it with my 95 amp hr battery but no joy then with a mains transformer again to no avail.

Battery almost new and always on trickle charge.

Could the motors be somehow siezed or is it a hand controller issue?

Any ideas.

Cheers.

Hi brantuk, yes they were locked, this mount has been a right pain in the neck, thats why I switched to Celestron, not sure what to do,probably take the motor covers off to see if they are jammed /fouled etc. its probably only had 8 hrs of use max in 7 years.

the scope is very good though.

Cheers.

Hi Martin,

Thats good news.

LXD75_Maintenance_101

I used that site to learn how to tune and maintain my LXD75.

If you go into the setup menu and mount (i think), there is a calibrate motors, then you will need to train them.

However the mounts axis should still move without anything else being done provided the worm drives are not wrecked.

I would advice to calibrate and Train and if that fails i would use the guide posted above and make sure it all looks right.

If you have any specific questions ill do what i can to help

Colin

Hi Neil, no because the hand controller did appear to correctly start up as normal so I may have wrongly assumed all was ok with that side of things.

Anyhow I started to dismantle the motors from the scope and straight away found that the drive wheels from the motor and the screw were not tightened to mesh correctly.

Cheers.

Glad you've found the fault. If you've taken it apart it would be worth checking the grub screws that hold the gears to the motor & worm shafts as well, as these have a tendency to come loose.

Cheers

Neil

Archived