NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Where to mount my Telrad?

My Telrad finder came today but not to sure the best way to mount it.

The problem i have is because i have the flextube dob the telrad base only just fits (see pic, the red line shows the length of telrad base), i was hoping to keep both finders fixed to the scope as some say it helps and can work well together, but to do this i would need to put the finder on the other side of the scope, opposite the focuser, not the most practical of places, this is because of one of the thumb screws holding the spider vanes in place is in the way, also not all the sticky that comes with the base will be in contact with the scope due to the shape of it, dont mind fixing it in place with nuts/bolts and then black them out.

So if any one got any suggestions about fixing/location this would be very helpful

post-20982-133877507996_thumb.jpg

The height seems to be ok Dave, i think i'l go with removing the optical finder and shoe, and using the position of the pre drilled holes of the orginal shoe redrill some in the telrad base to match these and fix in place, by putting it here i can then (if i feel the need) refix the optical next to the telrad.

Sorry, should have said that the base is not the same design and may fit in the gap. You probably don't need the rise as such.

When I use my telrad I don't use a finder scope but I'm not using a Dob.

I think your method could be best :D

Dave.

my scope's a big bigger so I have room for a 9x50 finder and a telrad in between . post #5 here http://stargazerslounge.com/members-equipment-gallery/97917-dob-has-landed.html shows the set up (although there's a 6x30mm finder in the shots there. personally I use both finders unless it's something easy like M42 or the moon etc.

Sorry, should have said that the base is not the same design and may fit in the gap. You probably don't need the rise as such.

Yeah the height is good, but the gap i got between the focuser and finder shoe is 1" so i think that is way to small for any design, but thanks for the help all the same.

Will go with my plan tomorrow and will get some pics of the process in case the problem crops up again for others.

Moonshane, thats a beauty of a scope you have, but the design is a little different and you appear to have a lot more room, i think the problem is the fact i have the flextube type which then limits space due to the little nuts and bolts needed

That was plan when i bought it pvaz but theres no room only about an inch or so and the telrad is quite wide

Oh, you got an 8" like mine. Same happened to me so I end up mounting it above the optical finder. It's a bit of a neck twist but comfortable enough on a sitting position.

The problem with this is you have a straight through finder so, if you follow my suggestion, it's likely your breath will fog the optical finder when you're using the telrad.

Archived