NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Knowing what you know.....

There you go Nessy, you should by now be well and truly confused.!

Try another question - how long have you been fully satisfied with and regularly using your scope mount combination? If anyone says 10 years that sounds like a good choice to me!

My answer is NS8 GPS - 9 months (out of 11 months as a star gazer)

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok - I'm still thinking on this but this might be my plan:

LXD 10" courtesy of Steve

Mount (EQ5 or 6, not sure which yet depending on co$$$$$t)

ED80

This should do?

4" Tasco type tube can then be given to kids to play with....

ps - whats the big difference between:

EQ5 and 6 and then both of these against a Fork mount?

The EQ5 is a Vixen GP clone and weighs about 10kg with a load capacity of 10kg

The EQ6 is a Takahashi EM200 clone and weighs about 25kg with a load capacity of 25kg

A fork mount uses a computers to work out the Alt and the Az movement of 2 motors to track an object rather than a physical angle of the axis. This means that the image rotates during photography so is useless for long exposure images without a field rotator that moves the camera with the stars. A fork mount is lighter than an EQ mount as it doesn't require counterweights. A fork mount can be mounted on a wedge to achieve EQ like performance.

from memory :D

EQ6 then.....

I guess the pro also as I would want the go-to (although I really want to learn the sky myself also) and I'm not sure on the standard EQ6

and then adding on the go-to; ok I could then do it in stages but cost wise it makes no sense and it does not look as pretty!!!

Archived