hello and help!

hello everyone.

i am totally new to all this,started last night, i got a scope but dont think its a good one, so pushed it to one side and just sat on my balcony working out the stars that i could work out i found orions belt the seven clusters, i was so pleased with myself and found a few more, not sure if it was jupiter or aries, but anyway thats as far as i have got, as for my scope its a konig electronic micro telescope, it comes with eyepieces 6mm and 20mm and has a thing called erecting eyepiesce with magnification of 1.5.

i had a go with it last night looking at a bright star witch was either jupiter or aries but could only see what i could see with my naked eye was using the 20mm bit zooming in and out.

any idea on what im doing wrong or where to start with my scope???

also is there any events i can go to where people gather and i can learn from others.

cheers guys hope to hear from you.

this has all opened a whole new world to me and i love it!!!

Hi and welcome to SGL. There are lots of Astronomy Societies scattered all over. Let us know what area you are based in and someone will come up with possibilities for you. Also, there are many star parties available trughout the year whetre you can meet "like people".

Also, to help find your way around the sky, download a planetarium program called Stellarium, it will help you no end.

Steve..

Hi and welcome to SGL :)

Once a month the Baker Street Irregular Astronomers meet at the Hub in Regents Park - might be worth looking into to start with. You'll see some scopes, get some views, and meet some local astronomers who will recommend groups in your area :D

Look at fedastro.org.uk

Club at Flamsted which according to their site meet at Blackheath occasionally.

Blackheath — Stargazing sessions. Next date: to be announced

Blackheath is easy for most members to get to, but does have significant light pollution. We will meet on the Heath near the donkey rides outside the Blackheath Gate to Greenwich Park, to observe bright objects like the Moon, planets etc. See the Home Page for details of meeting location, times, and targets etc. These sessions are weather-permitting only, and we will post go/no-go announcements on the day via e-mail and on this website.

Non-members and potential members are most welcome to attend these sessions. If you do not know anyone in the Society it is advisable to contact us in advance so we can identify ourselves. No need to book. Contact us for questions, directions, etc.

Blackheath — Hare & Billet Pub meetings. Next date: to be announced

The Society meets at the Hare and Billet Pub, as a social gathering and to discuss future activities. Non-members and potential members are most welcome to attend these gatherings. They are usually on the third Monday of each month. Details can be found on the Home Page. If you do not know anyone in the Society it is advisable to contact us in advance so we can identify ourselves. No need to book. Contact us for questions, directions, etc.

Suggest you look them up and contact them about the meetings they have.

Also one at Croydon and one at Guildford.

Archived