Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Too many diffraction spikes

Hi David,

It does look like the focus tube. I take it that you have to rack in to focus ?

Have a look down the tube. Does the focus tube line up with one of the secondary arms or as I suspect right in the middle of two ? If the later I think that proves it.

Answer - New focuser. Hack saw. Move the primary up the tube. Or anything else to shift it. It will look worse if you're out of focus.

I think :)

Dave.

• 2 years later...

So after a decent wait I have finally got round to solving this question. I have not been idle, just taking images without bright stars! The diffraction spikes are caused by the bolts that tension the secondary mirror supports. If I make a card iris that obscures the tensioning bolts from the main mirror then I get a normal four spike diffraction pattern.

The question is now - what is the best cure? Flocking? Is there a modification?

The other question is - out of all the C8-Ns to have come from the Synta factory is mine the only one to show this fault? Admittedly I did buy it second hand but it does look original - were the bolt really meant to be chromed (they are mat black now) and should they stick 10mm in from the tube wall?

Any answers gratefully read!

David

Archived