NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Delrin and Dremel......

simon84

I've had my AstroTrac for a couple of weeks now so I've had a chance to figure out how I'm going to do things. Being spoilt with the GoTo on the NEQ6 which has now been sold I've been thinking about how I'm going to get the camera and lens on the target.

At first I thought a rough positioning by eye would be enough, quick sub, focus, and reframe but I want something a little bit more accurate than that especially when I'm using the Sigma APO lens at 500mm.

That could end up being a bit time consuming so I thought wouldn't it be nice to had an MRF sitting on top of the Canon so I bought a block of Delrin off of ebay for a couple of quid and got my hacksaw and dremel out.

What I've made is an adapter that slides into the cameras hot shoe and allows the MRF to clamp to the top of the adapter. Its very solid, nice and firm with no play at all and I might even stick a patent on it I like it that much. So as a prototype goes I'm really happy with it but when I get my milling machine I will be able to make one out of ali which will be made to a much higher tolerance.

Hope you like it and I've plenty more Delrin left.....

post-17668-133877504817_thumb.jpg

post-17668-133877504823_thumb.jpg

post-17668-133877504828_thumb.jpg

Nice job. ;)

Ah...the wonders of Delrin. I've used it to make some usefull bits for a few scopes.

Here's a base for a laser pointer that fits any WO type finder bracket. I already had the rings so it was a simple job to cut the base out of a sheet of delrin on the bandsaw and then neaten it up. Also used some thick delrin sheet to make a groundboard for a 14" dob.

Would still like to get a decent mill some day though.:)

John

It is a wonderful material isnt it.

Some nice looking bits there John, I rushed it a little bit so it dosnt have a nice overall finish. I might take my warding files to it later to get shot of all the saw cuts in it but as it is it serves its purpose perfectly.

I've promised myself a new mill and a lathe for out in the shed, just trying to decide if I get the 3 in 1 or go for two seperate machines.

I'm looking at the Conquest John but I'd prefer something that can take 125mm stock. The mill I'm looking at is the Champion 16v on Chester UK.

Cheers Sy, be a while before I make any ali ones. I've spent most of the afternoon looking for something similar but I cant find a thing so I will probably apply for a patent on it just to find out what its like to apply for a patent if nothing else.

That it will mate, that it will.

It seemed like the obvious solution to the problem. Now to see if I can get away with a 50mm finder scope on there......only joking.

Probably could if you make a frame around the camera which can support it :)

WITH DELRIN?:)

Now that would be something wouldnt it.....talk about lighweight.

I think I may have to use ali and steel for that though. Need the machines first but having had a look at alot of photos and making some drawings up it shouldnt be too difficult.

Archived