Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Tips on sketching Jupiter

george7378

After another amazing night picking out more than 3 festoons above and below the NEB (they looked amazing - I could see white peninsulas of cloud pushing into the belt) and some nice details in the cloud caps with other subtle cloud features standing out, I am beginning to want to record what I see in my own unique drawings. I am one of the non-artistic types, and I wouldn't know where to start if presented with a blank disc to fill in, so I was wondering if anyone could give me some guidelines on how to sketch Jupiter? What will I need?

Thanks.

All the advice I can offer is my opinion and may not work for yourself or someone else may have a difference opinion.

It does depend on how far you want to take it.

If you are looking for a greyscale style drawing, then you simply need a sketch book and a pencil.

If you are wanting something with a bit of colour then pastel pencils are fantastic as you can blend them. I use Derwent simple because my local art shop stocks them.

To start with I would say try sketching in pencil, because if you don't like it or find it a faff then you have only paid for the price of a pencil and paper. If you enjoy it and want to go further you should be able to pick up some pastel pencils from a local art shop.

The advice I can offer you from a fellow Sky-Watcher Dobsonian owner is to take it easy with you drawing. You may find yourself peering down the eyepiece trying to take in all the detail, only to look down at your paper and forget or want to double check. Just remember that it doesn't have to be 100% perfect and don't try to take in too much detail in one go. I find the best way to do it is to lightly map out where everything is, then fill in the detail on each feature one by one.

The smaller you make your disc the harder it will be to put in detail, but the larger you make your disc then the more detail you will have to show. It is best not too make your disc too large or too small.

It is money well spent to get a red light that clicks onto your sketch book, as you won't have to bother holding it.

A good shopping list would be.

-Hard back sketch book, good quality ring bound will save you in the long run.

-Mechanical pencil, this way if your lead snaps you just push out a new piece, plus you can get a range of leads and put them in a few pencils.

-Red light that clips onto your sketchbook.

-Range of pastel pencil colours (White if you intend to draw on black card, then a good mixed of colours such as reds, browns, yellows and a grey)

-Blending stump, I haven't used on before but have got one on order as they are a good way of blending colours or pencil with good precision and no mess to you fingers.

-Soft sandpaper, this will allow you to create good edges on you pastels for precision work.

If there is anything more you want to know, just ask and I will help where possible.

I am a tad concerned about my scope that you are taking about the detail you have seen tonight from Lincolnshire, yet I am just up the way in W.Yorks with the exact same scope and never saw anything like what you have. Any tips on what I may be doing wrong??

Neil

George, just relax and take it one sketch at a time. :)

(I'm a non-artistic type, too... never had a lesson, go figure. :D )

For Jupiter, get the main features down as quickly as you can, because the rotation is quite rapid... in 20 minutes you'll notice it. No need for a red light, Jupiter will ruin your night vision anyway. Use a white one to keep the central cones in your eye active... they're what enables us to detect color.

Edit added:

TBH, i've never liked mechanical pencils for sketching. They can't be sharpened, and seem to give too wide of a mark, which makes fine detail difficult.

As always though, YMMV (your mileage may vary). ;)

i sketch jupiter step by step because as said previous;y you can overwhelm yourself with details otherwise.

First I observe until i feel i can make out quite a bit of detail on the disc, say 20 mins or so, but i do not try to hold it all in my mind's eye.

Then i stop and shade my pre-drawn outline with the main belts and zones, then i return to the eyepiece and add in the largest ovals i can see quickly and lightly, followed by smaller festoons, barges etc, this takes four or five looks at the planet and four or five visits to the sketch.

To locate the main features you must estimate how far away from the limb or the CM each feature is, is it at the top of middle or bottom of a belt or zone, how long is it as a fraction of the width of the NEB for example....etc etc.

Once the main features are drawn, I quickly check their positions by going between the sketch and the eyepice a few times. Refine them and add a little more shading and detail to them but don't worry about getting them spot on yet.

Then I start hunting for detail on the side of the disc where it is setting and add it a bit at a time to the sketch, move towards the centre and finally the side where detail is rising. This process can be done more slowly because you can use the large features to position these smaller details on the sketch even if the planet has rotated somewhat.

Take your time in the actual process of making the marks on the paper, they need to be acurate a representation as possible. I often use blending stumps at the eyepice.

I agree with carol that a white light is better for planetary sketching, it stops your colour vision diminishing.

You may not be very happy with your first try, but post it anyway and we can advise you further. Just like observing, that act of sketching seems to improve with every session - practice makes perfect i suppose.

Oh by the way, i copy up my field sketch indoors where i can be more comfortable and have a wider range of materials to hand.

hope this helps

Great advice from Neil, Carol and Chris.

I use a standard artists sketchpad and a 6B (very soft) pencil that I 'borrowed' from my daughter.

I am no artist but have found I have improved with practice.

The biggest thing though is that I enjoy drawing.

Good advice from everyone here. I think the important thing is to just get out there and have a go. I use the SPA's Jupiter Report form as my template and a set of 12 sketch pencils from WHS ranging from 4H to 6B.

I'll record the position of the NEB first and any main features I can see within it. Then I'll get down the positions of other prominent features as quickly as I can before Jupiter's rotation causes problems.

I'll then drop in the other features I pick up as I continue to observe, and finally build up the relative intensities of what I see with progessively softer pencils.

It's always interesting to compare your efforts against what others draw - but don't be intimidated. Everyone's style is different. I'm no artist. I just try to draw what I see as accurately as possible in the style I've become used to.

Looking forward to seeing some of your work :)

I've got a question for everyone.

For the last 10 years, my observations and sketches of Jupiter have been made using the 8"SCT. As i sat comfortably at the eyepiece, i was able to keep Jupiter's belts at the horizontal by rotating the diagonal, but there's no diagonal on Seymour and the belts run at an angle, making things difficult.

I tried sketching the planet on an angle but can't get the hang of it. I tried holding my head at an angle so the belts would be horizontal in the eyepiece, and the sketch turns out ok but it makes my neck ache.

How does everyone here handle the situation?

I've got a question for everyone.

For the last 10 years, my observations and sketches of Jupiter have been made using the 8"SCT. As i sat comfortably at the eyepiece, i was able to keep Jupiter's belts at the horizontal by rotating the diagonal, but there's no diagonal on Seymour and the belts run at an angle, making things difficult.

I tried sketching the planet on an angle but can't get the hang of it. I tried holding my head at an angle so the belts would be horizontal in the eyepiece, and the sketch turns out ok but it makes my neck ache.

How does everyone here handle the situation?

I guess its down to how our brains interpret the image. With Jupiter this year no instance sticks out in my mind as it being awkward to sketch because of the belts being at an angle relative to my view. I guess they must be as nothing I have is EQ mounted, yet I'm not noticing they are!? Perhaps it is something we just get used to over time..?

not much help there am I?? - sorry :)

I have to admit I have struggled to get the angle correct, something in my head told me it was when I put pencil to paper but the second I looked for confirmation I knew I have mess it up.

I started drawing the NEB first then worked the rest of the features and the moons based upon the NEB position. It means my complete picture is not completely in line with the page, but everything is in it's correct place and I can just rotate the scan afterwards to suit the angle. This may be the reason I haven't uploaded any Jupiter drawings yet.

Neil

I have to admit I have struggled to get the angle correct, something in my head told me it was when I put pencil to paper but the second I looked for confirmation I knew I have mess it up.

Exactly my problem. :)

Looks like i'll just keep getting neck-aches then, because that's the only way i can get the belts straight and where they belong. :D

Archived