Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

M 78 Diffuse nebula in Orion

CELESCOPE

This has to go down as one of the hardest i have tried, although taken through the branches of trees,and like CC the wind gusting ,several subs were lost.also i think maybe the O111 filter would have given a better image , i will try that next time , but meanwhile for those who have not seen M78 , its something like this ,

Used the ED80 and Atik 16 Hr cls FILTER , 50 subs at 60 secs, processed in Maxim and Photoshop , and a few of Noels actions , plus mine lol

Rog

image.jpg

M78 is a bright diffuse nebula in Orion. This magnitude 8.0 reflection nebula is a brighter portion of a vast nebula cloud that covers much of Orion. The nebula is illuminated by two B-type giant stars that are embedded in the nebula. This cloud of dust and gas is located about 1600 light-years away, and the nebulosity is about 2 to 3 light-years in diameter. M78 was discovered by P. Mechain in 1780. Messier observed it later that same year, and added it as the 78th entry to his catalog.

Well why make life easy for yourself eh? You can see the wind a bit in that picture which in a way adds to it's appeal and atmosphere. After all, if you were taking daytime photos on a misty day you wouldn't want it to look like bright sunshine would you? It looks good Rog, interesting target as well

Archived