Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Lunar 100 observing report 16.11.2010

Doc

Meade Lightbridge 16" F4.5

Phase: 56.3°

Lunation: 10.58 days

Illumination: 77.8%

Number 65 Hortensius Domes

Crater Hortensius is a 9 mile wide crater and is deep at 8700 feet. Through my 7mm Uwan at x261 I can detect five volcanic domes just to the north between Hortensius and a mountain range.

Number 60 Kies Pi

The volcanic dome Kies Pi was easily observed in the 6mm ortho as being south west of crater kies, very small and at the bottom of a mountain range in the form of a semi arc. The volcanic dome appeared white in colour and was your classic dome like structure.

Number 54 Hippalus Rilles

I spottted four rilles running from Rupes Kelvin in the south across the Promontorium Kelvin and northwards towards crater Hippalus. One of these rilles cuts across the floor of crater Hippalus and continues on the other side. These rilles are 145 miles long and 2 miles wide. They were easily spotted in all my eyepieces but the best one being the 12.5 mm ortho that gave me x 146.

Number 73 Smythii Basin

I could detect near Mare Crisium the following objects Mare Spurmans and then the craters Dubiago and I think Dubiago B then it becomes very hard to see and make out any detail, but I didn't give up and noted Schubert N that appeared very white in colour. I'm sure the above crater is within the Smythii Basin as I was looking exactly at it just couldn't make out the shape and size. I will come back to this one when liberation is better.

Thats 93/100 observed the remaining seven are around the lunars limb so are going to be very hard indeed.

Wow, you are nearly there!

I am going to look for the Lunar 100 list and give it a go. :) It will increase my chances of getting out there and observing.

It's great fun and you really do learn all the names and formations.

I think I should give it a go too. I have felt that the moon is just a source of light pollution but on Sunday evening I invited my neighbor round to have a look at Jupiter and the moon he loved it but more to the point I thought the moon at 50% looked stunning and it made me feel I should study it more. How have I ignored the nearest and most detailed astronomical object?

Archived