Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

setting up Nexstar 6

Just bought a Celestron Nexstar 6se I can get it to align using the sky align 3 star and then look for moon and it slews perfect.Then I have it slew to Juipter and it goes nowhere near like 100 degrees off this is very frustrating to say the least any help would be appreciated

No date and time are set correctly.It will slew to moon but not Jupiter.I used those two because they are out where I live and I wanted to see and make sure if it worked.Am new to all this so those two objects I know where they are moon obviously and Jupiter pretty close to the moon.

Hi Jim.

What are you using to power it? I used to own the 6se, I know from experience that slewing issues were sometimes down to the supply, the batteries option was pretty rubbish so not worth using. I went for a portable power source but had to make sure it was charged up or it would not slew correctly.

Alan

That is what I keep hearing.Power source.I have a plug in for my house coming and am going to buy a power tank for star parties.Although new to all this you would think a company like Celestron would let you know that the batteries are an issue.Sure hope this works.The viewing I have done is amazing.

I had exactly the same problem with my new NextStar 6 last week. I found that I had the latitude and longitude transposed. Also watch out for the USA date format MM/DD/YY ! It was working great last night. (I also got the 7Ah Sky-Watcher power tank, which is very useful).

I have a nexstar 5 and to be honest I have always had touble using sky align conequently i use 2star align its quicker and it works just learn a couple of stars and youre away I'm using polaris and deneb at the moment or betelgeuse is easy to find its the orange 1 top left of orion

I've had my 8SE for a year now and at first could not get correct allignment. The usual causes have been mentioned : correct date/time ( beware MM/DD/YY and BST) and don't confuse Lat. with Long.. I find 'Auto 2 star alignment' works very well, also make sure the base is level - a better spirit level would help. Now thinking about buying a GPS so that I can forget about time and position when setting up.

Old Codger

Archived