Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Three more galaxies!

mdstuart

A lovely clear night so out I went. After checking the sky by viewing the awesome Orion nebula and the crab nebula I started to pick out some galaxies.

I went for the area to the right of Orion...After a few negatives I found NGC 1600. A rather faint object in a very sparse FOV..but still good to have found a fuzzy.

Then the amazing find. A triple set of galaxies..NGC 1589 is next to a field star but moving 10 mins of arc down (just within the FOV of my 6mm TMB) you come to a pair of eliptical galaxies NGC 1587/8. NGC 1587 is pretty obvious but it looked odd in shape...:)

As is often the case when I come inside I realise what I saw. NGC 1588 is right next to 1587 and this was what made the shape odd..

Now I have to go out again to double check it was the partner I could see.

Apparantly they are an "interacting" pair of elipticals 100 light years away from us..:)

Amazing find..

Mark

Archived