Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

All things Shed-like

daz

George

That is one neglected observatory! Best of luck with the new project.

I agree that the extra insulation required to prevent condensation in a metal observatory is a bit of a bind. I reckon it cost me around £35 and took 3-4 days to install. However, I have no problems with condensation, the thermal properties are excellent due to the white metal roof and insulated walls and the roof is very light and easy to open and close. Because the roof is so light, I haven't had to install any fancy rail system for the wheels to run on. The 8' x 7' metal shed on which the observatory is based cost less then £250.

However, I agree that wooden sheds tend to look better and, if I had had more money, I would have built a wooden shed with a metal roof and had the best of both worlds. I did price this up, but I reckon it would have added at least £200 to the build costs. Maybe next time...

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

a dehumidifier would definately remove the unwanted moistier but the shed would need to be fairly water tight or your be such the moistier out of the worlds air which is pointless and a waste of money plus i wouldnt suggest having it on constantly just at a set level which is built into them anyway as if they are left too close to circuit boards for a long period they completely dry them out making them useless.a dehumidifier will suck the cold/damp water out of the air or anything that can harbour moistier,then freezes it just like your fridge or freezer but instead of using the frozen water it then heats and melts the water allowing it to be collected into a bucket for emptying. very clean water and great for the plants! a dehumidfier will also warm the air so perfect for a cold shed as it would not distort your viewing as the air isnt hot its warm/dry. not that it helps you to build a shed but at least you know how they work now,he,he.

regarding the permanent pc you would need a cupboard of somesort to store to stop the moistier getting to it.maybe put some draught proofing around the cupboard door etc and i most certainly wouldnt suggest putting the most upto date powerful pc in there just something that will do the job.

i would put a concrete base down for the pier to give a nice stable view and if your shed is to be built off the ground build it round the pier in the concrete base then the pier will be stable and the shed alot warmer rather then having concrete as the flooring.

ben

Archived