Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Imaging Single Stars ?

johnb

Anyone here image single or double stars ?, they look beautiful via the scope. I imagine lots of short exposures (20 to 30 secs) any tips appreciated. Oh the thought came after seeing an amazing picture of Albireo.

Regards

John B

Imaging double stars is certainly worthwhile. Some quite beautiful ones there are too. Albireo, Beta Cygni, and Almach, Gamma Andromeda are two very beautiful doubles. There are many more of course.

Ian, (Lunator) is the Double star Guru on SGL.

Ron.

I use a Watec Camera for a quick "test" image of Capella - With the "gain" turned right up. :p But the integration of multiple images is automatic, and a few second exposure penetrates to (maybe) 12th magnitude? The field here is quite a bit less than one degree and on an alt-azimuth mount t'boot. :)

I sense THIS technique could be considerably improved! <G> The skyglow is almost visible, the camera is Black and White etc. But I am tempted to try filters for coloured double imaging. Maybe even a diffraction grating for poor man's spectroscopy... :)

Archived