Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Ideal scope combination?

If you had to limit yourself to 2 or 3 scopes, to handle every situation(visual to astrophotography, portable to stationary, etc) what would they be?

Having practically no experience, I would go for variety. A 4-5" refractor non-driven, a 8-10" catadioptric equatorial mount and goto, and a 14-20" dobsonian reflector.

What do the more experienced say?

Don't think your list would do astrophotography that well unless the 8-10" EQ is very high-end - an 8"-10" Cat is a long focal-length 'scope and is very demanding on the mount.

If just two, i'd forget imaging and go for an 80-90mm refractor on an Alt-Az as a grab'n'go and very portable setup, and a 10" to 14" Dob depending on how important portability is (for regular trips out in the car i'd go for 10", for backyard and once-a-year starparties i'd go 14" - the 12" is a reasonable balance) . There's a lot to be said for a light refractor that can live on the mount and be up and running in seconds, while a medium-sized Dob is a great visual light-bucket. Although there's attraction in the 16-20" range, IMO the best large Dob is someone else's at a star party - they're just too large unless you're lucky enough to have a barn to keep it in. 10" to 14" are manageable by one person (just, in the latter case!)

To include imaging, i'd buy a ST80 guidescope and the best light GEM my money could buy (ideally Tak EM200 or AP Mach1, more realistically a used G8 or HEQ5) and image through the 80-90mm refractor. For a slightly higher budget i'd guide through the 80-90mm and add a 120-130mm with a focal length around 800-1000mm, as that's a really nice image scale for a lot of things.

Take a look at my scopes (in signature) - I'm allmost satisfied with those for a general purpose bunch of kit. It gives me lots of options covering portability, imaging, and observing. When the time (and money) is right I'll upgrade the eq then I'll be totally happy :)

(of course you can vary the sizes to suit)

Personally, i think its good to try and see what you like... i have had a ton of scopes in a short time. look after your gear and you wont lose money on it. try it and if its not fit for purpose then it might be right some someone else..

I am going to either have 2 or 3 scopes... my ETX125 is my ultra light setup, LX90 250mm is my at home scope.. and if its light enoght it might go to star partys instead of the 8" sct on eq mount.

but i am a visual only observer with limited space so SCT's fit my needs if space wasnt an issues i would have got reflectors.. prob dobs.

imo 8" scopes are the great all rounders, if you got a 200p on a heq5 i dont think there is much you couldn't do

Archived