SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

first real scope

I'm relatively new to all this so, be gentle.

I've been trying to decide which scope to invest in. I had all but parted with the cash for a 200P on an eq5, then suddenly a 200p dob came up at the right price and in the right place.

Can't wait to get out there and can you believe it, clear skies.

What would you all advise as the little things that will improve my viewing (flock the tube, fan, new eyepeices)

Is there anything else a can improve on?

Am i correct in thinking that i could put this could be put on a eq5 at a later date?

You can definitely put the 200p on an EQ stand at a later date, just need to buy some tube rings which are relatively cheap. An eq5 or a cg5 will do the trick.

I expect the 200p you have bought will have a fairly 'fast' focal ratio (f6 if it is the Skyliner) and so will benefit from more expensive lenses.

I'm not sure about the other modifications since I don't have a newtonian but my advice is to try to be patient and hold of doing anything like that until you've had the scope for a while and had a chance to test it out unmodified.

Actually the dob, at F/6, is more tolerant of lower cost eyepieces than the F/5 EQ mounted version. It's also a bit easier to collimate and stays collimated slightly better.

An EQ5 in the future might be just about OK for visual use but an HEQ5 would be better - an 8" F/6 tube is pretty substantial.

As gareththegreek says, I'd suggest holding off from getting accessories etc until you have some expereinece with the scope - they work pretty well "out of the box".

Yeah a real result. 2years old, immaculate, 1/2 price

So i've got a little spare cash for goodies. I think a new eyepeice and a 2 x barlow for starters.

Any ideas?

Thanks

As posted earlier - try and wait until you have tried the scope before buying "extras". Some find the 10mm eyepiece that comes with it poor so a barlow would only make it worse. Maybe a replacement for the 10mm plus a 32mm ? or possibly an RDF to replace / compliment the optical finder or possibly a dew / light shield, or possibly a collimation aid, or possibly ...... well the list could go - but try it 1st - there is no "set menu" for accessories - everyones needs will differ !

best buy i made to compliment my 200p dob was an orion 9x50 raci finder,much easier to use than the straight through finder,no awkward bending.after that i agree with others use your scope and get used to it then you can look at a few ep,s when you crave that little bit more;)

Another vote for a good finder, or two!

I have a RACI (Right Angle Correct Image) and a Telrad on my 200P dob and they help very much in navigation / star hopping to whatever your target is!

There's plenty of time later for upgrading other stuff and the best way to find out about various pieces of equipment is by looking thru this very forum and asking loads of questions!

You'll find quite a few peeps on here with similar set ups to yours and asking their advice, especially about eyepieces, can be very helpful indeed! Mind you everyone is slightly different in their prefered equipment, but that just adds to the fun!

Doc

Another vote for a good finder, or two!

I have a RACI (Right Angle Correct Image) and a Telrad on my 200P dob and they help very much in navigation / star hopping to whatever your target is!

There's plenty of time later for upgrading other stuff and the best way to find out about various pieces of equipment is by looking thru this very forum and asking loads of questions!

You'll find quite a few peeps on here with similar set ups to yours and asking their advice, especially about eyepieces, can be very helpful indeed! Mind you everyone is slightly different in their prefered equipment, but that just adds to the fun!

Doc

Thanks for that.

Thats some list of bit and bobs you've got. Yes i'm jealous

Dewshield is a must - you can make one from an old camping mat. Dew is a killer with most reflectors as the secondary cathes it. A dewshield will sort this out as well as stopping stry light going down the tube.

Other acessories - a decent 9x50 right anglked finder.

Better quality eyepieces.

Portable hair dryer (for when the dew is super bad).

Cooling fan for the main mirror.

Upgraded focuser.

Tube flocking.

The list is endless really, like everyone else I'd advise not to rush in and start buying stuff until you have some eyetime in and decide what it is you really want/need the most.

I wouldnt bother with a Barlow myself - I'd concentrate on better quality eyepieces once you have some eyetime.

The deshield will probably be a must though as will a red ligh torch.

Thought I'd add to the sage advice of waiting before you buy anything else. It's only after you have used your scope quite a bit that you will get an idea of what you would like - as the many many bits in the for sale section will testify. Buying upgrades is great fun, but wait until you know what you want, rather than trying to guess. And enjoy your scope!

Thanks everyone for your comments, i've had two relatively clear nights and i'm impressed already.

i'm not sure if its a new 10ish mm eyepiece i need or new focuser. i think i'll go for a new 10mm ep first as the standard ep are not really rated as a quality product. I think the focuser to down to operator error. Any suggestions for ep's?

a dew shield is a job i can do anytime. Any suggestions how deep i should make it.( i think i,ve read somewhere 1.5 x apperture)?

raci to follow on next payday.

Archived