NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Synguider woe's

Hi All,

I recently purchased a synguider and don't seem to be having much luck with it. I wondered if anyone else is/was having similar issues.

I start off with Vega, get it nicely focused in and make a parfocal eyepiece.

I then aim the scope at my target using the parfocal eyepiece and center in the brightest star in the vicinity which is not usually very bright and pop in the synguider.

I turn the exposure up to 4096 bring the noise right down to about 5 and i can never seem to see anything other than a few 1 pixel specs here and there, which i can only assume are noise.

I have tried using the zoom and this makes no difference.

I thought it might be the EQ66 so i tried it on the 200PDS tonight and it seems to have made no difference.

I am uber frustrated as since I bought it I seem to spend hours achieving nothing.

I think i managed to use it twice with success but that was looking at bright stars which were really quite a way off my target.

Does anyone have any pointers?

Mostly I am using the Equinox 66 as a guide scope thats a focal length of 400. Slightly smaller aperture than 80mm but it should do the job. That said I tried it on my 200PDS and it seemed just as difficult.

I can get it locked on to Vega instantly and every time almost bang in the centre which made me think my alignment with the 20mm eyepiece isn't the issue.

It just becomes a problem when I try and lock onto something dim. Most of the time I see nothing in the display. Is it just I am trying to lock on to stars that are too dim? Is it typical to have to have the guide camera pointing at something relatively far away from the target?

I only purchased it about 5 or 6 weeks ago but the box looked a bit old so I am guessing it would be the 1st version chip.

Is there some way to adjust the exposure time on these guiders? Maybe it is just too short for dim stars? I sometimes have to go for longer guide exposures than I would ideally like in order to get a strong star. I've never seen a Synguider so I'm guessing. The noise on my own guide cameras is horrendous but this seems not to matter a jot.

Olly

I guess i could try it slightly out of focus but i'm not convinced it would make any difference.

You can adjust the exposure time up to 4 seconds, thats generally what I have it on all the time.

Maybe I just need to experiment with it some more with an aim to do nothing more than get it working.

Everything gets frustrating when all you want to do is image and there are hurdles in the way. Especially clear skies are few and far between!!

Archived