Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Colour in Jupiter's satellites

lukebl

Hi all.

Just been dodging the showers to try and image Io's transit this evening, but largely in vain due to cloud cover and poor seeing. Just managed one quick avi before the clouds rolled in and I had to give up.

I wasn't going to post this as I didn't have time to get the focusing right, seeing was poor and it's a rather fuzzy image, but what struck me is how yellow Io appears on the image. Now, I know there's a bit of colour fringing in the image, but I wouldn't have thought there was so much to make Io look so vivid. And I know that Io is well known as being probably the most active volcanic and sulphuric hell-hole in the solar system, so does that account for the strong yellow hue?

Not sure if it shows up on the image here, but it really stands out on my original image like a sherbet lemon! I wonder if a particularly yellow hemisphere was facing us at the time. I guess it looked pale yellowish visually.

It's the first time I've noticed any particular colour in any of the Galilean satellites, although one of my recent images of a transit of Ganymede shows how dark and grey that particular satellite is. Anyone else noticed it?

lukebl-albums-luke-s-help-images-picture7595-jupiter-io-2010-11-09.jpg

Archived