NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Who wants to help me get the most out of my image?

glennbech

I'm struggling a bit with the noise, also the band across the bottom really needs some Photoshop skills. That new content aware fill would sort that would no bother, I don't have it though :eek:

5155617828_6abfc204ba_z.jpg

Just for grins Glenn, a bit of photoshop thuggery. Not that I spent loads of time on it, but that background was proving to be a real pain! The colour balance isn't great either but that's not one of strong points! I also cheated and cut that bottom off.

FWIW, despite their relative brightness, these two are quite tricky to get a decent image of so IMO, you haven't done too badly at all :).

Tony..

post-13439-133877499883_thumb.jpg

OK, have taken a quick look.

Can you do me a favour, if you use DSS to stack, can you drag a box around the two galaxies, give them a bit of context, and then stack 2 x drizzle with Auto adaptive or median sigma stacking method.

Then, upload the 32bit Autosave file that it produces somewhere.

Cheers

Here's a quick shot at the file above. Lots of that noise which seems peculiar to Canon's, very evident in the red channel. Bit of muck on the sensor too by the look of it, shows as a blob by m81.

When you go through the images, ditch any with clouds or higher background levels than the average, or any with obvious anomalies.

As mentioned above, M81 requires different treatment to M82 really, and so to get them both in one frame, and not spend half your life processing them, is a bit of a trick :) The image isn't too bad at all, but for 14 hours, i'd have expected a LOT smoother noise wise.

Cheers

post-14037-13387749989_thumb.jpg

Hi Earl :-) Great effort!

TJ: As mentioned above, M81 requires different treatment to M82 really, and so to get them both in one frame, and not spend half your life processing them, is a bit of a trick The image isn't too bad at all, but for 14 hours, i'd have expected a LOT smoother noise wise.

When looking at the data more carefully, I see that I have some funny flats in one of the groups. I probably have to go back and stack all three nights individually and look at the quality of each night. You're right about the noise, Since this is my longest stack so far, It is worth aiming for for the best possible result. Have to do my homework again i Guess.

Thanks for the comments and suggestions!

Archived