NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

feel a bit silly asking this

I guess this is obvious to most but not totally sure what these are for :eek:.

My guess is "locking nuts?", the one in the first pic is to lock the truss in place when set up?, i notice these little screws go into a hole on the bars when fully out.

Pic 2 shows a thumb screw which seems to lock the focuser in place once set?

Also when using the focuser the adjusting wheel will keep turning when the focuser is fully out or fully in, is this normal? if so why?

post-20982-133877499374_thumb.jpg

post-20982-133877499379_thumb.jpg

Yeah, they're both locking screws :eek:

when using the focuser the adjusting wheel will keep turning when the focuser is fully out or fully in, is this normal? if so why?

As far as I know the focus tube is driven by a rubber wheel on the shaft with the knobs on. This, I think, is to eliminate backlash, but the down side is it can slip. As opposed to a gear driven system which would not slip, but my have a little backlash,

The focusser is operated by friction and will therefore slip at either end of its travel. You can also turn the focussing wheels with the focusser locked (which I do all the time and then wonder why nothing happens!!. The focusser will have just enough friction to hold an eyepiece unlocked but when you add cameras etc you must put the lock on or things will slip!

Not silly at all bcf. Those nuts on the trusses hold a spring in place that presses a ball bearing into the tiny hole on each truss. You can hear this every time you extend the trusses cos it "clicks" into place.

Don't move those nuts cos they help to hold the collimation consistent and are factory set (usually taped over) - I found out that you shouldn't remove the tape a few days after I'd removed them lol

The screw under the focuser tube can be tightened to a suitable pressure when you are using big heavy ep's and/or camera equipment. Don't lose the knurled screw (it can drop out). The idea is to set it at the appropriate pressure so it doesn't slide out depending on what's attached :eek:

Not silly at all bcf. Those nuts on the trusses hold a spring in place that presses a ball bearing into the tiny hole on each truss. You can hear this every time you extend the trusses cos it "clicks" into place.

Don't move those nuts cos they help to hold the collimation consistent and are factory set (usually taped over) - I found out that you shouldn't remove the tape a few days after I'd removed them lol

Ah.....:eek: well i just took the tape off thinking it was part of the packing, but have not moved them, i also not long done the collimation (it was way out) now that is done and the said nuts not moved i guess it should be ok, and yes can hear the "click" when pulled out.

Thanks guys for helping to clear this up:icon_salut:

Archived