NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

USB to serial problem using Stellarium (Please help!!!)

Andrew INT

Hi All,

I am having some difficulty in getting Stellarium to control my HEQ5 pro mount. Please be gently with me since I’m not too clued up outside of MS office!

The HEQ5 mount has a serial lead which plugs into the handset. Unfortunately my laptop only has a USB port, and so I have purchased a USB to serial lead (which did not come with any software).

That said, when running Stellarium and opening port COM4), the telescope is shown as connected. However, despite placing the handset into PC mode, I can’t seem to control the telescope.

Do I need a driver? If so, is anybody able to provide a link and an idiots list of what needs to be done?

Many (many) thanks if you can point me in the right direction. :)

Kind regards, Andrew

Which version of Windows are you running, Andrew? I have a USB-to-Serial converter which worked okay with Windows Vista but which won't work with Windows 7 (even after installing the drivers). Right now I'm waiting for a Belkin USB-to-serial converter to arrive, as apparently the drivers for that are built in to Windows 7.

If it helps, most USB-to-serial converters that are on sale are built using hardware from Prolific, and so the drivers from here will work for many converters: Welcome to Prolific The Belkin converter seems to be an exception, in not using Prolific's hardware.

I use my Stellarium in combination with EQMOD / EQDIR and downloaded the StellariumScope and installed the ASCOM platform and drivers and everything works fine on my Windows 7 32bit laptop

It is on the HEQ5 syntrek but should be exactly the same fro the Pro.

Many thanks for the link Brantuk. I shall work through the suggestions this evening!

Breakintheclouds - I'm using Vista (for my sins). I 'll see how I get on following the links on post 2 and then see what happens.

rll1288,I also have the Stellariumscope installed. Maybe all I need is EQMOD and EQDIR.

I'll download the software tonight abd see what happens.

Many thanks for your help :))

I'm still having problems I'm afraid :)

This evening I followed the thread given above (mainly for older versions of stellarium)

Anyway, heres what I've done:

Re-installed 0.10.5 onto laptop together with the telescope control plug-in.

Configured stellarium through COM4

Shut down laptop

(Using Vista Computer manager, I had previously checked the Prolific USB-serial port (COM4) for driver updates: this were reported as being up to date.

Powered up the HEQ5 mount, and did a star align.

I then set the hand control to PC Direct Mode

Powered up laptop

Started Stellarium (telescope shown as connected)

However, Ctrl 1 did not slew the scope :eek:

Any ideas before I pull ALL my hair out?

A million thank-yous,

Andrew

Hurrah with dirty great bells on - it now works. Thanks for all your help and links :eek:

Having checked the Com, it is shown as a 9600 baud, stellarium was set at a default of 10001. :)

I can go to bed happy now - and its my birthday in the morning too - double hurrah etc etc.

Cheers all,

Andrew

Many thanks to you all for you help :eek:)

My wife had kindly got me a philips webcam for my birthday - I'm sure this will generate another string of questions (sorry)!

I'd just like to quickly add a big thank-you to the members and moderators on this site.

I have been a member of SPA and its forum for over three years. I have received more welcome's, help and advice in three days on the SGL than in three years on the SPA! I'm not knocking the SPA forum because they are a mostly welcoming bunch, but this site is clearly where to find and give support. (and three times as many members!)

Thanks once again. Kind regards, Andrew

• 1 month later...
I use my Stellarium in combination with EQMOD / EQDIR and downloaded the StellariumScope and installed the ASCOM platform and drivers and everything works fine on my Windows 7 32bit laptop

It is on the HEQ5 syntrek but should be exactly the same fro the Pro.

how do you sync the mount with Stellarium in EQMOD?

Archived