Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

How to hook up power outdoors?

hi moonshane phew, as long as you have an rcd in circuit, you are safe from a live to earth fault, the rcd should trip within 0.04 of a second. re 12v shock, its the amperage that kills, a car ignition system is 25,000v with a current of around that of a milli amp, you will get a shock but not die, the same voltage at only one amp will kill instantly. so read what the output amperage is. the current 17th iee regs say 25volts is enough to kill by causing heart fluctuations. so every one please take care.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
hi moonshane phew, as long as you have an rcd in circuit, you are safe from a live to earth fault, the rcd should trip within 0.04 of a second. re 12v shock, its the amperage that kills, a car ignition system is 25,000v with a current of around that of a milli amp, you will get a shock but not die, the same voltage at only one amp will kill instantly. so read what the output amperage is. the current 17th iee regs say 25volts is enough to kill by causing heart fluctuations. so every one please take care.

Very interesting indeed.

So what about 12V at 5A?

I'm planning on running a cigarette lighter power socket (RCD'ed) outdoors (and kept dry) in order to power my mount. What could I expect if for instance the socket became wet and the electrons found me to be a tasty way to earth?

What about 12V at 10A?

Archived