Mount and tripod advice

Hi.

I've seen a second hand eq5 mount and tripod for sale for £135, but being second hand there are, according to the site, some "minor witness marks on the mount and scratches on the counterbalance bar."; is this a bargain because if it is, I'll snap it up? :)

Many thanks.

Richard.

I have found that it is normal for second hand items to have some cosmetic marks but those marks seldom affect the operation or use of the item.

If you can live with it not looking perfect then you are probably on to a winner.

Is it possible for you to see before you commit to buying just to make sure you are happy with it?

That's the main problem I have 'oldfruit', I called the company and they said they couldn't tell me much about the item apart from what was on 'their system', and that side of things was dealt with by a 'different department'; I'm not sure I believe them, but as 'Mick UK' said, I would save £75! :)

Just as a footnote: would those scratches affect the operation of the mount, obviously I don't know how bad they are, but surely it wouldn't be that bad... would it?? lol

Regards

Richard.

Like i said before, the way you describe the item it sounds like the scratches are just cosmetic and would just mean that the mount and tripod would not look as good as if it were new, but will still do the job required.

Really hard to know how good or bad but you would have to judge for yourself.

I've just received a new EQ5 mount with a scope and it has a few marks here and there, nothing that affects its performance though.

As far as GOTO, yes, you can add it for about £300:

SkyWatcher SynScan PRO GOTO Upgrade Kit For EQ5 Mount

While we're on the subject of the EQ5, does anyone know if you can get the dangly things which go on the RA and DEC adjustment screws? I don't know what they're called but they attach to the adjustment screws on the mount and then you put the adjusment knobs on the other end. This makes it easier to adjust the position while viewing.

While we're on the subject of the EQ5, does anyone know if you can get the dangly things which go on the RA and DEC adjustment screws? I don't know what they're called but they attach to the adjustment screws on the mount and then you put the adjusment knobs on the other end. This makes it easier to adjust the position while viewing.

Are these what you`re after? Scroll down the page nearly halfway.

Do you know the make of the mount?

Scratches aren't a problem. I always say you are using it in the dark anyway.

But... Is is good name. A nondescript wobbly one?

With a known name, you at least know what you are getting. Whether it be good or bad.

If the company know so little about the mount, how can they be confident the scratches are the only problem???

If it's an EQ5 then it should be branded as Skywatcher but similar looking mounts are sold under a number of brand names - the Celestron CG5 for example.

If it's the one with the 1.5" or 1.75" steel tube tripod legs then it's not a bad price. If it has the older aluminium tripod then I think it's overpriced as you will need to replace the tripod.

Richard- just had a look and can't tell if it IS Skywatcher.

What I find interesting is that there are a total of three EQ5's for sale:

£135 - Old style, branding? 2 counterweights (1 gun metal, the other white)

£190 - New style, A1 condition with some scratches + Polar Scope

£205 - New style, A1 ex demo display + Polar scope

What's clear is that the cheapest one appears not to include a polar scope. I can't tell if its a skywatcher either, the badge is obscured. The other two would be my personal choice as they are easier to evaluate but to be honest you're not saving much compared to their cost new (which includes a guarantee and might include delivery?) Personally I would wait (I know it difficult :)) as these mounts come up frequently second hand (with motors) and in the longer term would represents better value for money than buying separately then adding motors later. :mad:

James

Hi James.

Thanks for your advice. I am a little suspicious to be honest as I cannot tell if it IS a skywatcher mount either and the "sales assistant" wasn't the most helpful of people I've spoken to anyway! I DO have a friend who works for orion optics uk and he's offered me an eq5 for 200 quids! Fortunately, they are just round the corner from my office. ;-)

Richard.

As a footnote to my comments above:

There is an 'active' for sale advert (posted 11th July) from someone in Leicester, so not too far away, selling a EQ5 Mount with 120 Evostar Refractor (Blue) for £220.

I know the total price is more than the other mount etc but you could make him an offer on just the mount or a reduced offer on the whole lot?

James

You can buy mine, its up for sale on this very site for £200, ra drive plus all the kit that goes with it & polar scope.

Shameless plug I know but I cant stand by & see another innocent get ripped off (potentially anyhow).

Archived