NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Video footage of The Orion Nebula

Mick UK

I thought this footage might interest some of the SGL members, i took it early Thursday morning under anything but ideal conditions, Light pollution, high misty clouds, thick low clouds with breaks every now and then, the moon was in its last quater phase sat above Orion and the wind was blowing a gale!..so as you can see, i really didnt have a right to expect anything decent really...but..check this out, now bear in mind, ive only just modded this cam (Samsung SDC-435) and its only the second time ive used it and both times its been for an hour at the most due to the weather!

This footage hasnt been altered at all, staright from the cam onto my laptop then onto Youtube as it was recorded.

Im really looking forward to seeing just how much i can get out of this camera under decent dark(ish) skies!):)

ps this movie was using my skywatcher 80ed pro, theres some moon footage in my other videos on there and some footage of Orion using my Skywatcher 250pds.

Oh. Fram accumulating camera. That is cool! :-) Is it expensive? Pardon for asking so blunt :)

You get a narrow field of view, should work excellent for galaxies and planetary nebula. I guess you'll get real "up close" with the 250pds .)

Glennbech, the camera cost me £92 delivered, then its just a simple process of removing the IR filter, which is nothing more than a few screws.

Ive just made a cooling system for it by drilling a series of holes around the casing so as to direct the air flow over the camera's CCD chip and other components.

You must be in Stockton are you John?

Hello Mick. Nice results :). I purchased one of these cameras hoping to image the Sun in colour but so far it's proved too sensitive. I've done a lot of video work on DSO's with a Watec 120n which is of course monochrome. Seeing your images inspires me to have another go at DSO's in colour!

Hi Pete, i think for the price of these camera's its an excellent way to get into imaging DSO's. As i say, im only new to this myself so im hoping to get quite a bit more out of this camera yet, hopefully when we eventually get a bit of decent weather up here!.

I'd like to try it with a HA filter and see what that brings out on different nebula's etc.

I would also like to try it using a widefield camera lens and see what the results are like as even on my 80ed using a focal reducer the field of view is very small as can be seen in the video clips.

• 1 month later...

Hi Mick, I have just acquired a Samsung SDC-435 camera and have read about the filter mod and fitting the nosepiece. I was wondering if you could say how you actually captured the footage. I'm assuming that you have it connected to a laptop. What are your connections, and what capture software did you use? You can probably tell that I'm a complete noob!

Regards, Mike :)

Woo its MadMick from FMTTM!

Nice video though, was observing the Orion Nebula on the North Yorkshire moors a couple of nights ago, the only time I've been able to get out in the last 3 weeks! and now even more snow means it looks like it will have to wait a bit longer too

"Good results. I know it's off topic but what's the name of the song in your video?"

It was one of the tunes that are free to use on youtube when you edit your video music.

i cant remember the name of it off hand, but i THINK it was by someone called something KING..perhaps Paul King?..sorry i cant be of more help.

Mike, you need to get one of these http://www.amazon.co.uk/Metre-BNC-RCA-Cable-Plated/dp/B002OF0GZS/ref=sr_1_8?ie=UTF8&qid=1287672821&sr=8-8 and then one of these to connect the cable to your laptop, http://www.amazon.co.uk/Easycap-Capture-Adapter-Supports-Professional-software/dp/B002BX4WSA/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1292795157&sr=1-2

The software program i used was either SharpCap or AmpCap both freeware programs.

SharpCap was actually designed by an SGL board member called rwgastro.

Archived