SPC 900 LX mod no use with a Netbook?

Should be able to get hold of a converter that gives you a parallel port to usb , as long as the capture program works ok with the lead it should be fine , seen them for around £20 maybe a lot cheaper on that big aution site :)

In that case there are a couple of websites detailing how to do a serial modification, I've found it's more convenient in the long run.

Yes, I've used the serial version - it seems to be much more straightforward than the parallel one. Some notes are worth repeating (though I've already posted on this particular topic). the serial control gives you 2 digital outputs that can switch LX functions. Assign one control to the LX mod and the other can be used for Amp-off.

I have had good success with the cheap USB-serial converters, specifically the ebay item number 270491516064. When using this, you will find that the control signals only go from 0V to +5V. While this does not meet the RS232 spec it's perfect for our use. It means you can dispense with the voltage level conversion and feed the control signals straight to the logic (via a 1K resistor) gates you added for the LX mod. The software installation is a little obscure as the driver CD doesn't tell you which driver to install - it turns out to be the R430 / HL340.EXE, which should be run before plugging in the USB-serial.

Second, I don't know abot other packages, but I find wxastrocapture works nicely with the serial port version - once you have discovered which serial port you're using. To do this, I put a couple of LEDs + 10k resistors across the LX control lines, these will provide a nice visual indication of when the LX mode is operating. They also flash a few times when the serial converter is initialised - thereby helping you work out which COM port your PC has decided to assign them to. Wxastrocapture also has the flexibility to assign the control pins to various LX functions (and even to invert the sense of the controls). This added flexibility makes it my recommended package.

Finally, if you want to tidy things up a bit, you can remove the gel-like plastic moulding off the "business" end of the USB-Serial and snip off the 9 way connector and solder wires directly onty the exposed circuit board. This makes the whole interface a great deal smaller. I've done this and integrated a little USB hub, the USB-Serial and the LX webcam all into a single box with just one, long, USB cable back to my Aspire netbook.

Archived