Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Meade 127mm APO quick first light

jarbi

Yesterday evening looked clear enough to test my new refractor, I was trying to get some frames of the Crescent nebula with my Atik 314L+ color CCD + UHC filter. I just started the fotosession when clouds appeared out of nowhere, so I was forced to stop after 2 frames. I should have known the rule with a new scope :). The attached image is a stack of these two frames. As you can see on the setup, I had to push the guiding rings far ahead to have it in balance, so I will have some limitations imaging round the zenit using a dual mounting plate.

Nevertheless I can see it will be a nice instrument ;-).

cheers,

Janos

post-13278-133877495341_thumb.jpg

post-13278-133877495348_thumb.jpg

Nice 1st light and lovely scope. Been wondering whether I would go for the 127 or keep the ED120.

Always remember the 1st rule of new scopes :)

Good luck with it, off to a flyer :(

Thanks Catatonia,

I was hesitating between the two, but I thought I go for aperture this time. You can hardly see a difference in optical quality IMHO.

cheers,

Janos

It is indeed a great scope. You will have a lot of enjoyment from it. When mine arrived I was really worried that it was too good to be true, but almost immediately it turned to be just 'too good'! It has since been replaced by a insanely expensive TEC and the difference is a classic case of severely diminishing returns!!

Have fun.

Olly

PS It really likes M101...

Archived