Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Connecting CduC to a Celestron CPC800

mjn321

I have posted this in another part of the forum but didn't get the answer so hope this may work.........

I have borrowed a friends CPC 800 (until Jan 2011) and have the latest version of Cartes du Ciel on a laptop running windows XP.

How do I use the computer to run the 'scope and what setting do I input into the 'telescope settings' panel of this program.

What lead do I need and is it run via the Nexstar remote socket, the 'PC" or the 'Auto Guide' socket on the base unit? (The manual is a bit vague around this).

Many thanks....

I'm watching this thread (and your earlier one) out of interest for my setup. I looked at CduC this morning which relies on ascom drivers, and they seem to be geared for EQ mounts - I could find nothing for Celestron fork mounts. The CPC wasn't listed for Stellarium either when I looked a while back.

I'm sure this must be possible somehow. At the moment I use Nexstar on a serial/usb lead and a couple of 5m active usb extensions. It plugs into the hand control serial port and works fine - but no planetaria link as yet.

I'll ask around and see what others do. Keep me posted if you get news :)

You need the telescope connected to the PC via a serial cable ( with a serial>usb adaptor -if necessary)

In CdC V3.2

Select Connect telescope icon

Ascom telescope Interface comes up

Drive selection -click select

Ascom telescope chooser comes up

press the down arrow next to the box and highlight Celestron Telescopes

press properties

the scope type drop down box comes up

highhlight CPC model

press OK

That's the job done.

Back in the main menu click connect and CdC will control your scope

Ken

Many thanks..... I think we are almost there. Please clarify the link. ie what plugs into the computer (can it be a serial or USB socket?) and what plugs into the telescope (is it via the Nexstar hand set or can it be via one of the sockets in the base unit?

A picture or diagram of what is needed may solve it ...

Great forum...... I am just getting into 'astronomy' again after a few years away and am finding it totally absorbing.

I don't have your scope...so don't 100% know...usually as Pete says there's a "upgrade/ update" comms cable included with the scope. Looks like a RJ11(?) telephone plug at one end and a DB9 serial plug at the other....

I use a KEYSPAN serial to usb adaptor into the laptop. Works 100% with everything.

The PC port used to be used for updating the MC and HC firmware in the mount ... its now done through the Handcontroller instead using the programming cable - the one you need to connect the scope to a serial port...

The Guideport is an ST4 compatible guide port as Ken Said...

The Aux Port... TTL level port the hand controller can be plugged in there as well as the HBX port or it can be used for other "future" accessories...

http://www.nexstarsite.com/PCControl.htm

Many thanks to all who have taken the time to reply. This forum is amazing in the breath and depth of knowledge. As I said before I am returning to 'astronomy' after a few years away and have spent considerable amount of time reading the forum over the last month. I am sure there will be further questions in the future..

Archived