Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Book's i need to read

Hello member's,

i am a relative newcomer to astronomy although i purchased my first telescope january this year it has only seen the light of day, figurative speaking, a couple of times. Just until recently i have really begun to get to know my way about the night sky and try to learn the constellations as i have also bought some Helios 10 x 50 binos which are getting a lot of use. The last few week's i have had a thirst for knowledge of wanting to learn as much as possible, which i know can take a lifetime.But i have just ordered: The Sky: A Users Guide by David.H.Levy which came recommended, so to my point, is their anyone that has read a good book or book's that they could recommend to a novice so as to learn the fundemental's of astronomy because i read these forum's frequently and there is a lot of jargon i cant grasp fully and i would like to appreciate and understand what the majority of the discussion's are talking about, sincerley, ian.

Ian, Besides “Turn Left at Orion”, I recently ordered the “Illustrated Guide to Astronomical Wonders” from Amazon. As a newbie I’m finding it really useful. It gives you greater detail, constellation by constellation, and the pictures are more realistic as to what you will actually see through a 6" scope. Good luck.

This are the astronomy related books I read recently:

- To learn how to locate objects and the basics of amateur astronomy: "Turn Left at Orion" .

- Once you outgrow TL@O then you need a nice atlas, I use "pocket sky atlas". Cheap, small and haves more objects then I can ever aspire to see. Unless I retire and move to the Sahara with a 16" dob... :)

- "Why e=mc^2?", A somewhat accessible explanation of our current understandment of the universe. It gives a pretty good understanding of astronomy, physics and relativity and all the steps that eventually led to it.

"Why e=mc^2?", A somewhat accessible explanation of our current understandment of the universe. It gives a pretty good understanding of astronomy, physics and relativity and all the steps that eventually led to it.

I'd always wanted to know why E=mc^2, it always seemed a very unintuitive but simple formula. This book talked me through it and was easily accessible I thought.

"Nightwatch" was a book I started with as well as Turn Left at Orion, good book.

Adrian

Hallo,

'The Backyard Astronomers Guide' by Terence Dickinson and Alan Dyer is probably the best all round introduction to astronomy that ive read. Terence Dickinson also wrote 'Nightwatch', which is a very useful guide too.

Turn Left At Orion, as already mentioned, is excellent for descriptions of how to star hop your way to finding objects.

Later on, a good star atlas will be essential, ive just got the 'Sky Atlas 2000.0' from another forum member which is very, very good but, a bit large to use at the scope - for that ive been using the 'Pocket Sky Atlas' by Roger Sinnott.

HTH!

Doc

Another one to look at!

I've just got the new 'Haynes Manual Of Astronomy' by Jane Green (£13.99 on Amazon at the mo'). Seems very good for an overall ntroduction to the subject too and very well illustrated throughout.

Sir Patrick Moore and Dr Brian May say good things about it... And both of them know a little about astronomy I gather..!:)

Doc

Archived