IKI 70mm F6 ED APO v WO MegreZ 72FD

Okay, time to treat myself to a decent scope to replace my Celestron c102, I've read various threads and torn between the above two. I'm doing bit of astro photography, only lunar so far but I think I've hit the limits of the celestron as far as optical quality v magnification goes. I would also like to continue using my current tripod, Horizon, which just has the camera type shoe fitting.

So, any pro's / con's of either .........

Thanks

Neil

I've owned both the Megrez 72 and the Telescope Service version of the IKI 70 so I can give you my opinion of the differences.

The 70mm was good, but sufferers in comparison to the 72. The 72 was noticeably sharper with a bit better contrast, although I didn't see much difference in CA. Overall buld quality and finish was also better in the 72, although I'd rate the focusers as being of similar quality.

It all comes down to the fact that while the 70mm is a good scope it's always going to come off second best in a head to head comparison to the Megrez 72. Yes there's the price difference but I's not great enough to dissuade me from recommending the 72 over the 70.

You should ask Ian at IKI about the relative merits of the two scopes and he'll give you his honest opinion, but I think his recommendation will be the same as mine.

John.

I believe that the Zenithstar 70 and the IKI 70 have the same optics. I had spoken to Ian at IKI before I bought the Megrez 72 and he said get the Megrez 72 rather than the Zenithstar 70 as it uses better glass than the 70 and was well worth the difference.

I really did like the Megrez 72, lovely little scope, although I sold it to finance some other equipment. I bought the 70 later on as a cheaper replacement, however it just wasn't as good as the 72 and left me the feeling that I wished I had spent the extra to get another 72. How ever it all worked out OK in the end as I in turn replaced the 70 with one of the new Telescope Service TS80/480 FPL-53 triplets that is virtually the same size and weight as the Megrez 72 ( another £250.00 though) but is far better optically as well as being a full 80mm.

John.

Well, that's thrown a spanner in the works! So, basically, the Megrez 72 is superior to the ZS70..., but you purchased a TS80, which is even better than the 72?!? :-\

Yes the TS80 FPL-53 triplet is indeed quite a bit better than the Megrez 72 FPL-51 doublet, but it costs £550.00, although at that price it is still an amazing value. Very close to a TMB optically but a LOT cheaper.

It's funny how things work out sometimes. If I hadn't sold the Megrez 72 and then later on in an example of false economy tried to save money by getting the 70 I would never have ended up with a great little scope like the TS80.

John

Thanks for the info, looks like it'sgoing to be the Megrez...now on order from Astronomia Dorking, my local dealer, have to support the local boys when you can, same price a FLO, eta 2 days

Cheers

Neil

Well, picked up the Megrez yesterday, what do I say? What a beautiful piece of kit, superb build quality, optics are sharp as a very sharp thing (original quote by Baldrick), just waiting for the usual to clear out the way.

Cheers

Neil

Archived