Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Sunspot Today

Trillian

:DWoo Hoo!:p

Just received my solar filter film from Telescope House and thought today would be a good day to try it out. Was a bit concerned as all the instructions are in German. However have found a link on here to show me how to make a filter to fit onto my scope so will have a go in a bit- but just to try it out have just positioned it over my binocs and have seen a sunspot.:D:headbang::)

Well chuffed with that! Good start to the day.

Ok- so I have made my filter holder. It looks pretty makeshift but it works fantastically. Had another good look this afternoon and managed to see all three sunspots. Noticed that one was a cluster of spots. Fabulous :D

Unfortunately as I managed to get my laptop and webcam set up to image it, it disappeared behind a neighbours house - never to be seen again- darn it!!!:) Hope I get another chance to get some pics soon.

In the meantime here is a shot of my filter- using an adapted plant pot!! Certainly did the trick.

post-20227-133877492943_thumb.jpg

I like your filter, post details of it in the DIY astronomy thread!! I put details of mine in there, made from a converted pie tin, and someone else has posted details of one they made from an empty Nescafe tub!

Thankyou Sailor, for the heads up on Spaceweather.com. I don't know why but I didn't even consider that they would number the sunspots (I mean why wouldn't they? Everything else is catalogued!) Very interesting.

And Seedy, it was your pie tin that gave me my inspiration! :D

So, after turfing out all my cupboards, I couldn't find one the right size so a further rummage in the garage found a plant pot with a perfect fit!!!

Taa Daa! LOL! :)

Archived